Battery guage drops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rb5739

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Hey guys, while driving down the highway the other day my check guages light turned on and my battery gauge dropped to zero. I drove the truck another thirty minutes to my house and after shutting it off and turning it back on the light was cleared and the gauge was normal. Now when ever drive about two min. in this whole thing happens over again. any suggestions?!?

Thanks Rob Barton

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Ok several things could be going wrong. First check all the ground connections. There are a lot of them, but concentrate on the engine bay. Some are normal wires that are in the insulation, while some are bare braided copper wire.
If you do not find anything out of the ordinary with the grounds remove your alternator and have it tested. This sounds like your alternator is about to kick the bucket. Also while you have the alternator out have the battery tested.

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
^^^ What he said. Also, I don't know if the "sender" for the voltage is internal in the alternator but I think it is...

OP
OP
R

rb5739

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
My alternator tested good, and im hesitant to think that its a ground short because its like clock work. truck runs for two min, light turns on and gauge drops. shut it off and back on and every thing is normal until i actually drive again for a min or two.

thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it. Is there a sensor maybe between the battery and the gauge?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
I do not believe there are any sensors between the battery and the gauge. Seeing as the alternator is good, then it is most likely a short that only happens when there is vibration in the system. Time to start checking all the wires.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990