Condenser Fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
I have a 2004 Ram 4.7. The condenser fan runs when the temperature is in the high 80's W/O the A/C turned on. Is there any way this can be adjusted or replace the thermostat that controls the fan? I would think it should only run with the A/C on. Thanks

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it is the setup that has a seperate condenser fan there shouldn't be any thermostat on it. Should just be on when the Ac is on. Do you happen to have the controls set to defrost or floor/defrost when you notice this? Running the defroster runs the Ac compressor

OP
OP
E

edhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
Thank you for the reply. The controls are set for dash exit of air and the temp to the cold setting. I live in Phoenix and it will be hot enough today the fan will be running when I get home. I'll move the controls the floor exit of air and see if that works. The fan only comes on when it's hot outside. The controls are always in the position they're in right now. I thought it might be on a thermostat to run when hot.

OP
OP
E

edhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
I have found the answer to my problem... I replaced the A/C - Heater control module in the dash and the fan has stopped running. Now that we're into the low 100's here in Phoenix the fan would be running all the time.

OP
OP
E

edhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
I have an 04 with a 4.7. The condenser fan runs when the outside temperature is above 80 with the A/C in the off position (compressor not engaged). I was told by a service writer to replace the A/C - Heater control module. It didn't help (expensive fail) Is there a thermostat that controls the fan either outside or inside the cab? This has become frustrating.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you happen to have the defroster on? Modern vehicles use the compressor in conjunction with the defroster.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Did you happen to have the defroster on? Modern vehicles use the compressor in conjunction with the defroster.

And the A/C light don't come on even if the A/C is running for the defrost cycle.

I did read somewhere that there is a DIY you can do to disable the A/C completely even when in "Defrost".

The following Google search returned some interesting leads, although not specific to the RAM :

2004 Dodge RAM disable A/C when in Defrost

Hope this helps.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The AC light isn't supposed to come on in defrost mode unless you press it

OP
OP
E

edhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
I posted this issue last spring and I'm still having a problem. Now that the weather here in Phoenix is beginning to turn into another long summer my condenser fan will run with the A/C in the off position fan off and temp turned to cool. When the outside temperature reaches 90 the condenser fan will come on. I've had this problem for a few years and I know eventually the fan will wear out. I've changed the heater / A/C control module in the dash and the ambient temperature sensor. Even with the key in the on position the fan will activate. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
My 03 Dodge Ram 5.7 Quad cab had the same symptoms last year at 230K. Replaced the condenser fan unit with a VDO new. Problem solved, functions like new.

OP
OP
E

edhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
I don't mean to sound like a numbskull but a VDO?? I don't know what that means.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Ed I should have made my point more clearly. VDO was the manufacture of the replacement condenser fan unit. We have found in our area, that VDO is now making some high quality replacement parts. Need to be careful of who the vendor is for the over the counter retail parts house. Some are selling real junk. "lifetime warranty" sure if you want to replace it 4 times. Hope this is helpful.

OP
OP
E

edhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
I checked the fan last spring and there isn't 12 volts at the fan with the key on. Something has to activate a switch to power the fan. That's where the problem is. I appreciate your advise but I'm not sure that will solve my issue. Somewhere in the circuit when it's hot the fan is being activated. I'm not sure where to check. I thought replacing the dash unit (where the switch is) this would solve the problem.
Thanks

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Might check to see if you’re TIPM is dirty. What year is it? The TIPM May be totally electronic, no relays. Dirt, heat, and moisture are a bad combination on electronic circuit boards and these are NOT sealed off.

OP
OP
E

edhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
I posted this issue last spring and I'm still having a problem. Now that the weather here in Phoenix is beginning to turn into another long summer my condenser fan will run with the A/C in the off position fan off and temp turned to cool. When the outside temperature reaches 90 the condenser fan will come on. I've had this problem for a few years and I know eventually the fan will wear out. I've changed the heater / A/C control module in the dash, the ambient temperature sensor and the relay at the fuse box. Even with the key in the on position the fan will activate. If I remove the relay the fan will stop, reinstall and it will run. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Rndom2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Sounds like the condenser fan motor, I’ve had that issue in the past. I changed it and the fan, problem solved for me. The motor is like $20 something.