Cummins 5.9 won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4cummins2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So I just picked up a Cummins 5.9 2007. I'm having a bit of an issue getting it started though. First of I tried jumping it with my other Cummins 6.7 and it wouldn't start. Now the issue is the headlights and taillights wont turn off no matter what. Another issue is the fact that the a/c and the radio won't turn on even when I have the battery cables hooked up to it. So it seems like the battery is charging but it won't get to the starter or to any of the accessories anyone have a clue at what it could be. Also I did check the fuses and they all looked good any ideas?

82Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
1982, 2010
Engine
318 Magnum, 6.7 Cummins
The "fuse box" is actually the TIPM Totally Integrated Power Module and controls all of that stuff, First I would make sure ALL of the battery cables and leads are tight and if it still won't start you may have a bad TIPM. There should also be the S cable to the starter with a connector up by the cowl on the driver side. Should be able to jumper the straight to the positive lead and see if it cranks. If it is a Manual take it out of gear first because this bypasses all of the safety's

OP
OP

4x4cummins2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So if I put the s cable on to the battery's positive lead should it start up or will it just crank. Also if I start it up will I be able to drive it around

82Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
1982, 2010
Engine
318 Magnum, 6.7 Cummins
That will just crank it, it may start if the key is on but not sure. It is just a test to make sure the stater is working. Is it working already?

OP
OP

4x4cummins2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I have not been able to try it. The thing is I bought the truck at auction. So I'm trying to get it to start. I got a deal on it and assumed it was just battery's. Now the steering column panels have been removed by someone before me. What I'm thinking is someone possibly sabotaged the truck so it wouldn't start or even crank by removing something from the ignition so it would go cheaper. I think that's the most likely cause because when I put the key in acc and on the radio won't start and neither will the a/c so it seems like the truck isn't getting any power to these accessories or the ignition isn't sending the signal. Actually the radio does have power as when I press the eject button it says wait and shows the time.