Faulty Gas Gauge on 07 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ayesijuan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This has happened a couple of times now. My overhead says I have 50-70 miles till empty and gauge shows about an 1/8th of a tank. I drive it somewhere and when I get back and try to start it, it doesn't start. I put a couple of gallons in it from gas can and it starts. What the heck is wrong? It is lowered 3" - 5" but that shouldn't affect it should it? I have heard similar problems from Jeeps but if they are sitting on a hill.

Any solutions?

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I never let my fuel tank get any lower than 1/4 full. I have seen fuel pump failures, from fuel pumps that ran to hot, due to a lack of fuel to keep the fuel pump motor cool. The replacement of a fuel pump on our trucks is very expensive, and that is one of the reasons I don't let my fuel level drop below 1/4 tank.

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
Possibly the fuel pump. It isn't too bad to replace just let the truck run until it dies so the tank isn't very heavy when you drop it.

PdPuNOme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok to help with the question and not get sidetracked on what level of gas you should have....
My 06 I rarely drive it so when I do and I pay attention to my fuel level I swear it reads incorrectly as full is pegged to the right and empty empty is around 1/8ish. Ill fill up there and be 24 gallons which pegs the needle. I had an 02 3rd gen and it read properly compared to this 06, 1/8th tank would had been more like 20-22 gallons at fill up.
So I believe our gauges are acting similar. By chance does your oil pressure go up high and volt meter as well? I have that going on even though no oil pressure issues and volts are high I am at 14.7-15.4 which is not right but chasing that situation is torture. Wondering if the high voltage may have something to do with it...