First post, concerns/ questions about my ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wrightty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey all I had a few questions/ concerns about my ram. First, over the past year and more so recently when i go to put it in reverse and give it gas, the engine will rev but not go anywhere, then i put it in park and back to reverse and it works fine. Second, sometimes i'll be backing out of a spot and it will stall out, starts right back up though. Third, it idles really low, usually around 500-600rpm and sometimes it doesn't even move forward it's so low. I don't even need to hold the brakes sometimes. Fourth, I just put on a super 44 the other week, single in dual out and now it seems that there may not be enough flow? sometimes it feels its fighting if i accelerate too quickly. Lastly, when i'm driving once in a while it feels like the trans is fluttering, where it kind of skips and hits. Any ideas or input on any of these? Thanks guys

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this on the 03? Have you ever done a pan drop and filter change? I'd be willing to bet there's a issue with the flat filter either clogged or it has slipped from its seal causing fluid drainback issues, therefore the slippage.

OP
OP
W

wrightty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Yep 03. Is that something I can on my own?

OP
OP
W

wrightty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
and nope never touched the trans. I just got the truck last august

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yup. Working on one of these is way easy. Dump the fluid, replace the filters, put the pan back on, fill.

As for your exhaust, you may have a cat clogging.

OP
OP
W

wrightty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
do you guys know the part number from oreilleys or autozone? Im seeing multiple choices, some don't include something

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I second possible clogged cat. Get underneath when its cooled off and whack the cat with a rubber mallet. See if you hear any rattling as if it's broken up inside.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
This sounds like trans related issues to me. There are two different flat filters, one for the 2wd and the other for the deeper pan on the 4x4. Follow the correct procedures for installing the flat filter as it needs to seat properly to prevent air leaks. I've not had this issue but have read similar posts where the drain back valve leaks and takes a little longer for the pump to refill the converter and be able to drive once in gear. The 2003 5.7 idle target is 525 rpm, so you are good. Trans fluid level is critical also for proper idle for reasons I don't understand. I'm not a fan of any baffled muffler as I believe them to be unnecessarily restrictive. Yours may be defective or you have a bad cat. IMO, the 03 OEM cat is the best cat available. It was designed as a single cat where the others are used in pairs. Welcome to the forum, it's good to see another 03 on here.