Front wheel bearing toast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys,

Had a front wheel bearing go on me on the way to work friday. Like no warning at all until it started sounding like scraping metal.

I'm replacing both of them Monday but I noticed the CV part that goes into the front axle wobbles... I can grab it and move it up and down a more than comfortable amount IMO. Both sides about the same

Is it normal to be able to move those and if so how much is acceptable? If not what am I facing?

OP
OP
JAMMAN

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pardon me, the part where the CV goes into the FRONT DIFFERENTIAL wow shouldn't type fast LOL

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
May I suggest you get the parts at www.1aauto.com. I got mine there when I just did it and they are insane cheap from them. They are also a preferred vendor here so added bonus.

When I did mine I was able to do the job without taking the cv joint out. I guess when you rip it apart you will have to see if with new one it is tight.

OP
OP
JAMMAN

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will check out the vendor but it really wouldn't matter what happens at the outer CV how could that affect the inner CV to the differential housing?

Was hoping perhaps there is some kind of replaceable bushing inside the housing. Seal is leaking also in that area.