help with what I should buy and why

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XRx

Reaction score
Ram Year
none yet, shopping
Engine
v8
Starting to shop for a winter vehicle, and some early 3rd gen ram deals have caught my eye. I really know not much about them though, so I have some questions.

Anything I should avoid or try for, such as features or reliability issues of certain year models?

I have a long commute, any better on gas than others?

Beyond the normal car buying inspection stuff, what else should I be looking for, ram specific?

Btw I'm looking for something likely over 100k so I can get it for around 4g. Oh yeah, 4x4.

Rokmonanoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Mega Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Welcome

Welcome.

I guess I have a couple more questions that may help narrow the field.

How long is your commute? No Ram is a gas miser, but the 4.7 does better than others or the HEMI with MDS.

If you just want fuel economy, you are probably looking in the wrong place. Just trying to make sure you don't get your hopes up on mileage :)

What else are you going to use the truck for? Will it be a Daily Driver only? Tow vehicle? Off Roader? 3rd gens are good for these purposes when properly equipped. If a previous owner used them as such, they can also have additional wear to check for.

Most important thing will be how well, or how poorly the previous owner(s) took care of it before you bought it. Look it over well and take it to a mechanic before purchase.

I am very fond of my 3rd gen, but I don't have any expectations about mileage (I get 12 on a regular basis). I use mine as a family rig (Mega Cab) and a tow vehicle. It serves all of these purposes well, and thus I am happy with it.

Give us some more info and maybe we can help point you in a good direction.

Rok

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I second That as more info on your wants and needs are required. My 06 gets about 18 on interstate doing 70/72 mph. Otherwise I get about 14/15 in town depending on how I drive. However. I have a single cab short box. Less truck to move. I have the 5.7 with the mds. Over time I hope to lift it and do a little work to improve the off road capability. But as he said if you strictly need mpg you're sort of in the wrong place. Good luck and welcome!

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Iv Got A 2005 ram Q Cab 4.7 L And Its Getting 14 -14.8 mpg City And 15.8 - 16.5 mpg Highway Just So You Have A Reference point

TanRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2004 Ram 1500 quad cab with a 4.7 and I'm getting around 14 mpg. Check the oil, tires, drive it down the road, see if it goes straight. Another big thing to check for is rust. Crawl under it and take a look at the frame, cab mounts, and rocker panels.

Rams are good trucks, you're not going to get great fuel mileage though. The 4.7 will likely get better gas mileage than a hemi will, but it will be at the expense of power. The Hemi will be better for towing or heavy hauling, where as the 4.7 is better for driving around town. You can still tow perfectly fine with a 4.7, I do, but you'll have much more power with a hemi.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
According to MPG's "RamRod37" posted, no.

I average 14.5

When it's strictly highway miles I get 19.