My friend (mechanic) keeps trying to convince me this is a brake line leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

triple111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my friend was helping me with my truck, and he noticed fluid stains on the Front Right frame by the brake line.

W2LNuKz.jpg

Looking at the brake line, it looks like it is a little scuffed, I can't tell if its just the rubber coating that is rubbed up or if the line is busted up.

FODrsMV.jpg

I put a piece of paper towel down to see if it was leaking while driving and so far it looks completely clean in the area that the line is. There is a small yellow spot indicated in the spot where the arrow is, but I believe it is from my heating core, as it is right above the leak spot (which is leaking as I smell antifreeze inside).

kRCAkY1.jpg

We tried pumping the brakes, which didn't cause anything to come out of the line. The brake fluid level is normal, and the brake feel fine to me. I think it is just fluid from my heating core all over the frame, but he is convinced its the brake line. We saw yellowish drops of fluid when the leak was wetter.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
it could be brake fluid, but I doubt it's a leak if you pumped the brake and the pedal feels fine and you can't see any leakage. It might just be spillage, or it might be from bleeding the brakes, or even previous other brake service. Try to smell the fluid. if you can, coolant smells sweet. Are you sure it's not just condensation from the a/c?

MTLHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If you smell antifreeze. More than likely you're right and it is the heater core this is leaking.