My winch bumper rant.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motomech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Am I the only one who misses the "Old" way of mounting winches to our trucks? I mean winch bumpers now days stick out way to far and hang to low and cost too much. I am not an old guy but BACK IN MY DAY we mounted winches up high to gain ground clearance, most of our winches were right in front of the grill. The bumpers did not weigh a ton.

My favorite winch of all time is the Warn 8274. I have had many of these and they are really easy to build and customize. If you do not know this is a stand up feet front winch. Most of the bumpers now days do not support this type of winch even tho it is one of the best winches ever made. I laugh and think the Warn Trans4mer winch mount has it right. Don't stick out to far don't weigh a lot maybe a lil bit pricy.

I have a Suburban with a winch on it and I will try to post a pic. It is a real simple bumper, lightweight ETC. I guess I just miss this style of bumpers.

Anybody with me or am I just crazy?:Insane:

Attachments

• suburban005small.jpg
    suburban005small.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,674

01dirtydzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v Turbo Diesel
Times have changed...just my opinion, the 8274 is a hideous winch...

Im very happy with my RoadRhino/engo winch combo...

184527_3619112336676_525318136_n.jpg

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I'd rather hit a deer with a new one then the older ones
I also like the styling of the new bumpers rather then a homemade appearance of most older ones

Last edited:

01dirtydzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v Turbo Diesel
I'd rather hit a deer with a new one then yours
I also like the styling of the new bumpers rather then a homemade appearance of most older ones
If i hit a deer with mine, it would be an explosion of Guts everywhere....Wouldnt phase the truck, or the bumper.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Lol my buddy hit one with his road armor at 65, it bent the mounting bracket a bit and that it

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just don't like the huge 'chin' that most newer winch bumpers give the truck. I plan on getting a non-winch bumper and then just cutting a hole for a fairlead since I already have a winch mount.

OP
OP
Motomech

Motomech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just seems the new ones stick out way farther then they need to. Deer protection and Off Roading are two different things. I have my fair share of deer around here God knows! But every time I go up a hill my Bumper isn't buried in the dirt.

I also have a Warn 12k winch in the garage so I know how big they are, the New bumpers I have seen give these winches so much extra space I just don't think it's needed. The 8274 IS an ugly ass winch indeed but for it's size it is very powerful. The Suburban had the 12k on this same bumper and I replaced it with the 8274 and have been happy, I took the 12k and installed it on my '98 Dodge 2500 with Runell bumper ad a few years later I rolled the truck and thats why it's in the garage now.

The 12k winch is going on my 2005 Dodge 2500 soon as I settle for a bumper that I like.

BTW check out these guys for some awesome WARN 8274 parts and Mods!

GigglePin 4x4 - Home : Home of the Twinmotor winch : Jim Marsden