Winch power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tbucket

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi-eTorque 5.7
Okay, while I await a call from my local RAM service dept. regarding same query, I will inquire here.

I have a 2022 RAM 1500 with the eTorque engine. My truck that I’m fixing to sell had the same winch powered “directly” to the battery, with an inline circuit breaker before the battery. The winch is ONLY used when I need to pull a felled tree out of my woods.

My question, can I still power my winch this way? Friend of mine seems to think I’d be screwing with computer somehow. I look at the battery and all that is attached to the positive post is the positive cable. Although the 2003 Ford did not have much in way of computers, it worked fine.

So how about my RAM, can I still direct wire winch to battery? TIA

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also beware modern truck very sensitive to battery voltage. If you are winching long I’d let the truck run while operating the winch just in case. The computer will decide if the voltage is sufficient to start the truck, not you.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Approximately how often is this winch used and on average, for what duration of time?

What is the rated capacity of the winch?

And, chrome_image_Nov. 16, 2023 4_51_54 a.m. EST.png to Ram Forum. :cool: