No throttle in gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ok here is a weird one folks. Yesterday I was out and about in big red. (2005 1500 SLT quad cab with 134000 on the clock) I backed out of a parking spot and after a few feet moving forward she stuttered a little. I thought it was just a bad patch of pavement so I kept going. Turned the corner and stopped at a light. The light turned and I step on the skinny pedal and nothing happens. Engine stayed at idle. Just as the light turned yellow and three other drivers flipped me off and honked their horns, the throttle starts working but the check engine light came on. Next stop light same thing happened. Third time I had to stop I sat there for all of 2 minutes with only about a 100 rpm difference if I tried to use the accelerator. I put it in neutral and pressed the pedal. Now I have throttle again. Put it back in Drive and no throttle. I figured out that if I put it in neutral and got the Rpms up to a couple grand and drop it into drive it would lurch forward and I had throttle again... until I had to stop. Guess what? No more throttle. Once she got going acceleration and shifting were normal until I had to stop
I made it to a local repair shop and they pulled two codes this morning. P2299 and p0700. The first code is related to accelerator position and brake switch position. At no time have I ever had my foot on the brake and gas at the same time. The p0700 code was probably from the trans jerking into gear to get her moving. The shop cleared both codes and drove the truck quite a bit and no symptoms have returned. They are saying that the transmission may not be getting back into 1st gear and causing the truck to go into limp mode.
My question here is why would the accelerator work in park and neutral but not in reverse or any drive gear? Also has anyone else experienced this? I'm baffled.
I had the recommended transmission service at 120k miles and have had ZERO mechanical issues in the three years I've owned her.

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I think you are correct about the transmission code. I'd focus on the accelerator problem.

Trouble Code: P2299

Brake Pedal Position/Accelerator Pedal Position Incompatible
Possible Causes:

1. Stop lamp switch has failed

2. APP Sensor has failed

It may be that the throttle body needs a reset, which is easy to do:

THROTTLE BODY RESET PROCEDURE

a. Disconnect negative battery cable from battery.
Leave cable disconnected for approximately 90 seconds.

b. Reconnect cable to battery.

c. Turn ignition switch ON, but do not crank engine.

d. Leave ignition switch ON for a minimum of 10 seconds. This will allow PCM to learn throttle body electrical parameters.

Lastly you'll want to test the brake switch connection and for continuity.

Then start the vehicle.

Thundervee

Reaction score
Ram Year
98, 05
Engine
5.9 Gas 5.7 hemi
That p0700 means there was a trans code set in the TCM. Getting the 0700 from the PCM is telling you that the TCM has a problem code. So the code in the TCM should still be there unless they cleared it also. But I agree with Maddog that the issue with the throttle is most likely what you need to fix. Hopefully the TCM code was set because you were slamming it in gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ADUBIS

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Fixed it

Never did find the issue but I fixed the problem. I traded in Big Red for a brand new 2016 Tradesman 4X4. First brand new vehicle I have ever had. Sure gonna miss the old girl but I've got a lot of fond memories and she will live on in my heart forever.

Last edited: