Service Electronic Throttle Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RogerRamJet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Last weekend I put Carifex LEDs in my projector headlights. 5 days later, I get home from work, pull in the driveway and my truck begins to idle rough, like a cylinder or two has dropped. CEL is not on, but there is a code stored; two codes, actually. U0147 & P1009. I cleared them with my AlphaOBD. P1009 came back, but U0147 has not returned. Truck idles high now, 900 - 1500 rpms and the Service Electronic Throttle Control comes on from time to time. I shut it off, start it back up and this fixes the issue for a while. It happens both when I'm driving - at any speed - or sitting still. Strangest damn thing I've experienced in my 2014 RAM 1500 Sport. Nothing else seems to be affected. Cruise Control works fine until the Service Electronic Throttle Control rears its ugly head. Temp doesn't change like I've read on other threads on here. I don't think putting in the LEDs caused this as I've had them in there before with no issues. I think this is just a coincidence, but one never knows. The only constant fault is P1009 which is a humidity sensor. This has been active for a while now, although the CEL cleared itself after a few starts until this latest idle crap. I've been reading where the Gateway Module B has lost communication for the U0147 code - not a clue what that is, other than most answers say to check the harness. Anyone got a recommendation? I'm afraid of the dealer - we have several to choose from here in Dallas/Ft. Worth. I'm afraid they'll play let's replace everything until we fix it. Not real confident in an independent as this may be related specifically to MOPAR and the independent will spend more time and money chasing it. Getting tired of having to pull off the road every few hours to stop and start the engine to reset it. Any help would be appriciated.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Temp doesn't change like I've read on other threads on here.

Thermostat temp sensor and throttle body throw the same light so that is what they are referring to. Sounds like this is unrelated to your cooling system. I think your motor uses a MAF sensor in the intake tube, easy to check and cheap to replace if needed. Cleaning that sensor, the throttle body, and checking the wires to both of those things would be my first thought.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How’s the battery? A weak battery can present all kinds of kooky issues. How’s the alternator? Running down the road the alternator should be supplying the electrical needs. Any TIPM issues? Your issue is intermittent with oddly different codes and could be electrical based. When was the last time you cleaned the throttle body and associated sensors?

OP
OP
RogerRamJet

RogerRamJet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500
Engine
4.7 Magnum
I did some more digging with my new AlphaOBD, found in the engine section codes P2173 & P0507. Gonna remove the idle control valve and clean it out, replace it if I have to and see if that fixes it.
Battery is good, under 2 years old. Alt is putting out 14.4V when it's running.

OP
OP
RogerRamJet

RogerRamJet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Well, bullocks! Found the problem. Was gearing up to shell out a couple hundred bucks, but...
So, I'm an electrical engineer, know my way around a tool. My dad was a Chrysler mechanic for 30 years, so I know my way around an engine. But, I'm pushing 60 and leave all the dirty stuff to the young folk, now. I decided to have a look and guess what I found? I put an oil catch can on several years ago, the retaing bolt had come off so the catch can was just dangling. The weight of the catch can caused the hose connection to the throttle body to come off and...
You guessed it, a good ol fashioned vacuum leak. Plugged the hose in, secured the can and she's purring like a kitten, again. Well, aa much as a 145k mile HEMI can purr.
Thanks for the responses, fellas!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517