Thinking of buying 2006 1500 big horn quad cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nufan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello,
I am new to trucks and new to dodge.
I have my eye on a 2006 1500 big horn quad cab 4x4 with the hemi. It has 93k on it.
What are somethings I should know and/or look for before purchasing. Are these trucks known for certain problems? Is there an average life span, I know that's subjective, but do they start to nickel and dime you at like 120k for example?
Any info would be helpful and appreciated.

Thank you
P.S. asking price is $15,500. I think that's a bit high for the miles but I'm new to trucks. I have about $4k to put down. Really wanna know if I'll have major problems during the duration of the loan;again subjective I know

Last edited:

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am new to Ram as well, but have always owned a truck, the people here will give you plenty of good sound advice, Good luck, theres nothing like a new (or new to you, truck)
Ike

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
Price is very high in my opinion. But it also depends on what it has for options.... Can you link us to the truck or give us more info. also your location.

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Price seems about right. I paid a hair over 15k for my 05 Laramie with 92k on it two years ago. KBB on my truck was 19k

Davy120

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very common dodge problem is a cracked dash. If you its the hemi then gotta clean the throttle body once a year at best and a few others i cant member off the top of my head....oh tranny goes bad, mine in my 03 was replaced at 120k and on my old 01 1500 i replaced it at around 100k. So keep that in mind too, not trying to deter you just being honest lol

Sent from my MAN CAVE using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
nufan

nufan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very common dodge problem is a cracked dash. If you its the hemi then gotta clean the throttle body once a year at best and a few others i cant member off the top of my head....oh tranny goes bad, mine in my 03 was replaced at 120k and on my old 01 1500 i replaced it at around 100k. So keep that in mind too, not trying to deter you just being honest lol

Yeah, thats what makes me nervous about it...having to do a major repair!
Would a dodge dealer be able to look at it and say if the tranny is solid?

Davy120

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is a nice truck for sure. And idk if you could or not to be honest. I serviced mine at around ehh 90k and then boom 10k later reverse didnt work i was the da fuq. Just when you go to test drive shift through all gears and have each one see how it feels and roll window down too no radio.

inktoxicated

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the trans on my 08 doesnt seem all that tight. i got it used for 18k at 60k miles. def run it thru the gears see if it upshifts and downshifts smooth. wath the rpm gauge climb and fall cleanly , no hang ups. make sure the roof isnt dented. the electrical systems on these also seem weak. see how it rides. does it drive str8?pull? ride really hard? bump steer? prolly going to need struts/shocks and steering parts if nothing was done yet.wheel bearings may need replacement soon. then again it really depends if the previos owner beat the **** out of it or not

mrfyram1500

2024 1500 Laramie
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had an '04 sport and an '08 SLT. Both had the common issue with the HVAC system doors breaking. I currently have an '08 Laramie with 52,000 miles and have not had any issues with the HVAC doors yet. It's an expensive repair if a Dodge dealer repairs it for you. I've heard $800 to over $1000 to have it repaired.

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Honestly every truck has its issues that can cause expensive repairs. I think if you take it for a day or half day for a test drive then it would be worth taking it to a local mechanic who can give it once over and they can tell you if the hubs are warn or the shocks are warn and give you an idea of what's to come for expenses. Most if not all used trucks will need to replace wearable parts at some point, but its the major things like tranny and engine that are hard to tell if they are going to go bad.

Sgtabn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 06 big horn I love it, however I have had to put a lot of wrench time in to her. I have replaced the ac, water pump etc. Keeping all that in mind it runs great sounds amazing (flow masters) and still rides like new

Slopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They were re-called for front wheel bearings not lubed right. Have they been replaced?
Mine blew out and dealer replaced under warranty/recall.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You won't be able to buy any vehicle with almost 100k on the clock and not expect to have to put some TLC into it. Regardless of how great things are produced these days, things just wear out.

There isn't much you can do about the transmission other than see if it has a sticker from where it was serviced. You can feel if it shifts 'ok' but even the best Ram transmission (Gen III) kind of sucks, so it'll never be a great shift!