How to lower rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Hey guys, new to this forum. Need help. Got a 02 Ram 1500 4.7. Mainly stock. I want to lower the rear end about 2 inches, but not do a flip kit, is there anyway I could use drop shackles and not mess anything up? I've been looking all around the internet and hopefully someone can help me out.

HemiSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7, Ecodiesel
Drop shackles will lower the rear a bit for you. Most advertise a 2 inch drop but will only give you around 1.5. I removed my overload leaf to make up the difference but I don't really tow anything with my truck. If you haul heavy things or tow with your truck I would only do the shackles.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could remove the overload springs then add some air bags if and when you haul or tow.

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Im guessing the overload spring is the smallest one. How difficult is it to take one of those apart?

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would Not Remove The Load Spring if Any Kind Of Weight Was Going Be Hauled Because The Load Springs Serve Two Purposes One load Help But At Same Time The Load Spring Prevent the other springs from bending to much in one spot mostly right at axle mount the load spring helps keep a even arch in other spring as a load is applied and spring arch straightens out without load spring all stress will be at axle mount and will eventually will break one of the springs in the pack usually the main spring iv seen people do this years ago and I have seen three broken because they removed load spring 2 was on same truck 3months apart he changed one of then three months later the other broke

Take the Advise how you want but that would be the one spring I would not remove period even with load helpers, Air Bags, helper springs,etc

Last edited:

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your wanting a 2" drop. If look for a set of 3" drop shackles.

RamRod37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If your wanting a 2" drop. If look for a set of 3" drop shackles.

From what iv found there's not a 3 inch shackle 2 is max now you can go with belltech 3 drop springs but they are 195 a piece to go that route

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I removed the O/L spring years ago when using only a drop shackle. As stated the 2" drop shackle usually only give 1-1/2" drop. To get closer to true level usually requires the removal of the O/L spring. Associated issues are as stated the remaining spring pack become more flexible and leads to wheel hop from the spring loading and unloading which is very hard on the drive train. The fix is to use some kind of axle control. This can be anything from CalTracs to Long bars. The issue with drop shackles are that the shorter they get the more binding that occurs because of the lack of movement they have. The easy fix would be replacing the original springs with a de-arched or drop spring. But then you are limited to what that spring provides pretty much for drop. I would recommend doing the flip kit and then adjusting the drop using shackle length. This would also allow you to maintain the Original spring pack including the O/L if desired. Dropping the truck is addictive so plan ahead.. Good luck..

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Im looking around still, I was told that I cant just lower the rear, but to lower the front too. This is more confusing than I thought

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Im looking around still, I was told that I cant just lower the rear, but to lower the front too. This is more confusing than I thought

You can lower/raise front and/or rear independently. It is your preference. Before you do anything I would recommend you have a better understanding what it is you are doing and the what look you really want. Once decided, then go forward... good luck..

RamRod37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just Keep In mind to On 2wd Models There is Only 5 inchs of spring travel to start with so a 3 inch drop in rear will only give you 2 inchs of travel and even if not hauling loads large bumps may bottom you out on bump stops I wanted to do and 2/4.5 drop on mine but I don't like C notchs and I still use my truck for loads so iv had to halt my plans

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
I may stay away from removing the leaf springs, I've talk to shops who specialize in lowering cars/trucks. They recommend a 2in front /4 in the back. But i'm thinking that would be really low.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
2/4-1/2 is the standard street drop. Looks good and still have the use of your truck.

Mines 3/6 and I tow with it.

UZfAma.jpg

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Redtruck, I like how your sits, that's exactly how I want mine. So 3 in the front 6 in the back? did you do it yourself?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Redtruck, I like how your sits, that's exactly how I want mine. So 3 in the front 6 in the back? did you do it yourself?

Yes, it took me awhile after the initial install of the spindles, I went back and started trimming the springs to get it where I wanted. I've changed tires again and need to trim just a tad more off the front coils for the truck to be level. The rear is a standard flip kit with the original shackles which gives 6 inch drop. I use Tembren rubber springs for bumps and a bolt-in notch that's welded with a backing plate. I rides great. There is lots of information on drops here on the forum, just need to dig it out. These are some pictures of mine as it evolved over a couple of years. And of course it is still evolving...

uu83.jpg

img2011052200088.jpg

imag0028wj.jpg
caltracweb.jpg

dsc00223web.jpg
dsc00208compressed.jpg

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
That looks awesome, but I don't have deep pockets. Would doing a normal flip kit be hard? Make a notch in the frame right? not sure about cutting into the frame though, and new tires, haha I might need to just throw some 2 inch drop shackles on it. You should notice by now that I want a easy, cheap lower in the back, and I didn't do enough research about it I guess. Wish my leafs sat on the bottom, just add a block to lower it.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Go at a pace your comfortable with and just stay on track for your goals and you'll get it done.. You can make your own flip kit from bits and pieces fairly cheaply and trimming the front coils cost little. This will work if you keep it mild.

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
If I do a flip kit, would I have to do anything to the front?
How easy is it? a bolt off, put under axle, bolt back on?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
If I do a flip kit, would I have to do anything to the front?
How easy is it? a bolt off, put under axle, bolt back on?

No, you can just lower the rear if that is what you want. Installation is pretty much that. Still recommend whatever is done that the spring perches be welded when satisfied the pinion alignment is correct.

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
You have been a big help. I think this may be a job for professional, even if I go with drop shackles its not the same as a 4 inch drop like yours. In college so money is tight, and I thought lowering something wouldn't take much at all.