What should I do....with the front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim Tinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v10
I just purchased a 2003 Ram Quad Cab 4.7 - 2wd

The kid I got it from lifted it 4.5” in the front and it looks like 2.5” in the rear..

It has LT275/65R20 on 20” rims...

I want to lower it at least 2”-2.5” as I'm old and can barely get into it :)

There is a set of 2” coil blocks lying in the back seat that came with it.

My questions are...

If I drop it back down to just a 2” lift, will I have to get all new front-end parts?

The driver's side upper wishbone A-arm ball joint does not have any rubber around it, its not loose

so I want to change it out and since I don't know what brand they are I will replace both.

If I do keep the height. What is a good brand and do you have to specify the lift height when ordering

0r are they just a standard configuration...

when these tires are gone.. I would like a little less aggressive tread, same height, maybe not quite as wide... will be all highway, and dirt roads no real off-roading

I have been reading about the overdrive and I'm more confused then ever. Do I drive in town with the OD off? If so when do I engage the OD?

thanks

Attachments

• 20240103_120832.jpg
    20240103_120832.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240103_120854.jpg
    20240103_120854.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240103_120950.jpg
    20240103_120950.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
With a 4.5" lift, if done correctly there are other components that would have been swapped to correct the alignment, but that 4.5" is also right on the line where some people will say close enough and not make those changes, so whether or not you would need to change back to factory spec parts when lowering can be hard to say. Most people buy new upper control arms but who knows what "the kid" you bought it from did. Others who know more about lift kits may be able to help more.

For OD though, generally you won't need to touch it. Its something you use when you are hauling/towing and you don't want it shifting up into 5th since you know it won't have enough torque to pull the load, using OD will keep it in 4th. I have oversized tires that turn hard so sometimes I have to use it going down the highway as to keep it from shifting constantly. With your tires being smaller, I suspect that you won't need to use it, unless towing of course.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't mess with returning it to stock, that'd be much more trouble then it's worth IMO and probably $1-2k depending if you do it yourself or take it to a shop. If the truck has ever seen salt you can expect plenty of seized bolts, ball joints, wheel bearings, etc and you'll probably end up replacing pretty much the entire suspension. Find a set of running board or steps that suit your taste and send it as is.

As for the control arms, hard to say without knowing anything else about the kit that's on it but I believe most 4" kits retain somewhat factory UCA angles. I'd get a set of mevotech ttx arms off rockauto and call it good.

Looks to me like a rough country brand lift but I don't see any lifts for a 2wd of your year on their site.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have a hard time getting in it install nerf bars/running boards makes a huge diffrence.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love nerf bars...I must be getting old ;)

Back in the day when I had my Bronco, even with the nerve bars, the 4 inch lift and 33s, it was so high I kept a stepstool in the back for when my mother in law had to ride with us

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357