2002 4x4 Leveling Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

triple111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry for asking this (as its been probably asked hundreds of times) but I've been looking through this forum and haven't found a straightforward answer to my question.

So I understand there are essentially 3 ways to level the truck:

1. Crank torsion keys (can be aftermarket but would be pointless)
2. Suspension lift (new springs/shocks?)
3. Put these caps on?
RCX: 1994-2005 Dodge Ram 1500 2-inch Suspension Leveling Kit

I'm a poor grad looking for the el cheapo method, which I understand is #1 (would require new shocks), but what is the deal with #3?

*Do you pop these under the springs? I'm guessing that would require new shocks as well. Is there any benefit of these over cranking the keys?

*Do all of these methods 1,2 and 3 create issues for the CV axles? I use my 4WD frequently and am mostly worried about this.

Also been wondering if anyone has pics of the stock ride height or after leveling with 35" tires, I've heard mixed info about them fitting/rubbing.

Hemipig

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Since I just recently researched the crap out of this subject, and folks hardly ever reply to help people on here, or give you anything more than cryptic information that you need to decipher like you're pursuing the davinci code, I'm gonna throw you a bone friend:

If you have a 2500 or 3500 and want more lift and serious offroading capability(more suspension travel) then get the rough country 5 inch lift for around 1000 and around 2000 for a bds/skyjacker, or any other kit that utilizes real coils, and you'll pay ~1000 for the install at a truck shop worth it's salt.

If you have a 1500, and want to do serious offroading, unfortunately you are out of luck. Unlike the 2500 and 3500, the 1500s do not have a solid axle and real suspension.

The 1500s have independent front suspension, which means all they have are a shock by itself and a control arm.

There is absolutely no way to lift the front end of the truck outside of cranking the torsion keys(aftermarket keys are virtually the same as factory ones, don't waste your money) besides throwing on an extended knuckle(the thing the rotors and hub go onto), which is what all of the 1500 lift kits have, which is useless for offroading as it offers you no extra suspension travel, and you will pay 1000 to 2000 for this amazing(sarcasm) feat of fabrication.

In addition to this useless extended knuckle, the rear will be lifted by blocks that go in between the rear leaf springs, which you can buy from any autozone and throw on your truck tonight without buying an expensive and pointless lift kit from rough country for 1250 or bds for 2000.

If you are looking to just lift the truck for looks and fit a bigger tire, you should just crank the keys as far as they will go, and put in some rear leaf spring blocks to match the increase in height of the front. If you want even more lift, get a 3" body lift from performance accessories. If you do all of this you can fit 38" tires no problem. Lifting it this way will cost you less than 800 bucks parts and the labor at a shop.

If you have a 1500 and want to seriously offroad, buy a 2500/3500 and buy a real lift for it, or keep your 1500 and utilize the lifting methods outlined above, and put a 38" tire on it for maximum ground clearance and don't attack anything too serious.

You can also apply the cranking keys/rear blocks and body lift concept to a 2500 or 3500 for a strictly looks approach as well.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Just crank your torsion keys as Hemipig stated. There's no advantage to buying leveling torsion keys over cranking the stock ones as the end result is exactly the same. As you mentioned in your original post, it is recommended that you buy new, longer shocks once you have cranked them and you will want to take it for an alignment once that's done as well.

The spacers in your option 3 don't apply to you as those are for a 2wd truck with coil springs, not a 4wd truck.