i fought the shocks, and the shocks won

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, three hours and I got the lower bolt undone of the drivers side shock(which is now back in). Can't find the thing to lower the fukken spare(that's too gd small now anyway but my dad wouldn't let me leave it out when I changed the rear oil) and I can't getbto the upper bolt of the drivers side with the damn tire in the way. And can't get any of the other bolts or nuts to budge. What freaking size are the nuts and bolts on these damn things? 13/16 is too small 7/8 is too big. Largest metric I or my dad has is 19mm and that ain't workin. Im either gonna call around tomorrow and see how much its gonna be to do it or yank the bed and tackle them from above. Really don't wanna do that but I can't afford to pay to have it done either. Needless to say a crescent wrench and monkey wrench were just not cutting it. MAJOR FAIL TONIGHT!

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can two people lift it off. I can't decide if its better to pay for it or go through the hassle of pulling the bed off in 100 degree weather

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm... with the issues with bolts I had tonight that might be more of a pain lol. What time you comin down friday dan?

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gotcha. Comin down there friday with the girl and Saturday with joe(Reefguy)

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well, three hours and I got the lower bolt undone of the drivers side shock(which is now back in). Can't find the thing to lower the fukken spare(that's too gd small now anyway but my dad wouldn't let me leave it out when I changed the rear oil) and I can't getbto the upper bolt of the drivers side with the damn tire in the way. And can't get any of the other bolts or nuts to budge. What freaking size are the nuts and bolts on these damn things? 13/16 is too small 7/8 is too big. Largest metric I or my dad has is 19mm and that ain't workin. Im either gonna call around tomorrow and see how much its gonna be to do it or yank the bed and tackle them from above. Really don't wanna do that but I can't afford to pay to have it done either. Needless to say a crescent wrench and monkey wrench were just not cutting it. MAJOR FAIL TONIGHT!

I believe all will be metric I don't think any are SAE on there.

$miley

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks dan. Still can't decide if I wanna tackle this again or just take it somewhere.

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, 80 bucks was the cheapest I could find and I just don't have that right now so I went and got 21mm sockets and a wrench. Guy at advance let me test fit a socket and 21mm won. About to try again. Though I do feel im going to have to cut the spare tire off to get to the drivers side.

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
F U drivers side. Got it off, what a pain in the ass. If anybody else decides to to this themselves take the spare off. Would make getting the drivers side off ten times easier

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, pops had to come rescue me lol. Arms weren't long enough to hold the wrench and impact at the same time but it's done woo hoo!

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
lol, na not really. only thing was i was putting the top bolt back on the pass side shock and the 1/2 inch wrench slipped and got me right on the cheek bone. it's red but nothin major.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Man could have told ya to drop the spare. Not to mentio. If you have the exhaust bracket. In your way on the passenger side.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
When I did my shocks there were some homemade mounts in the way, luckily there was just enough room for a wrench. (former owner had a 5th wheel plate)

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tony, didn't have the thing to lower it. Tried a BFS( big fukken screwdriver), couldn't get it to turn. That and the little tabs on the nuts not holding.

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, it was a pain in the ass, but what a difference. The bilsteins ride great. Butt isn't saggin as much now either.