Shocks for 08 2wd 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Wanting to know if I can use the same struts or coilovers that are on a 4wd on my 2wd? Trying to find some adjustable ones to level my truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nope. The 2wd trucks use a spring and shock set-up and the 4wd use a strut set-up.

OP
OP

Reaction score
So is there just an adjusting shock I can get? And do I have to get a lifting coil and shock?

OP
OP

Reaction score
Would the bilstein 5100 series ride adjust work?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No the 5100s won't work on a 2wd.

OP
OP

Reaction score
Ok good, cause on 4 wheel parts they say they do. What are my other options?

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So is there just an adjusting shock I can get? And do I have to get a lifting coil and shock?

Struts incorporate the spring into the assembly (4wd).
Shocks (2wd) work in conjunction with a spring and play no role in ride height.

The cheapest option would be a coil spacer, but your ride will suffer a bit.
The best way to go about it is using a leveling spring and a longer shock to match the added height.

OP
OP

Reaction score
What are some good shocks that will work for the front? I would like to get fox but idk if they make them for mine

Maxtrac Suspension

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
What are some good shocks that will work for the front? I would like to get fox but idk if they make them for mine

Hey bud, I just saw this post and thought I would chime in with some suggestions if you were interested. We offer a 2" front coil spring spacer as well as a 2.5" lift coil. We also offer our own Maxtrac white body front shock to compliment the coils/coil spacer as well as Bilstein front shocks to compliment either one. You can check out the parts right here if you would like and if you have have questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I am glad to help! Thanks and have a good one -- Sean

1989-2015 2" ALUMINUM Front COIL SPACERS
2002-2008 DODGE RAM 1500 2.5" Front Lift W/ MaxTrac Shocks
2002-2008.5 DODGE RAM 1500 2" Front Lift W/ Bilstein Shocks

OP
OP

Reaction score
Hey bud, I just saw this post and thought I would chime in with some suggestions if you were interested. We offer a 2" front coil spring spacer as well as a 2.5" lift coil. We also offer our own Maxtrac white body front shock to compliment the coils/coil spacer as well as Bilstein front shocks to compliment either one. You can check out the parts right here if you would like and if you have have questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I am glad to help! Thanks and have a good one -- Sean

1989-2015 2" ALUMINUM Front COIL SPACERS

2002-2008 DODGE RAM 1500 2.5" Front Lift W/ MaxTrac Shocks

2002-2008.5 DODGE RAM 1500 2" Front Lift W/ Bilstein Shocks

Can I combined the coil spacer with the lift coil? Will the shock be good for that?

Maxtrac Suspension

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Can I combined the coil spacer with the lift coil? Will the shock be good for that?

No unfortunately you cannot stack the two. It would be nearly impossible to try and squeeze the coil stacked with the coil spacer on it. Probably would take 3 or more guys with pry bars to get it to fit in that coil pocket lol. So let's say you were able to get it in, it would cause the truck to have such severe suspension geometry angles that it would be unsafe and the truck would not align. I hope this doesn't come off rude I am just trying to explain why you cannot stack the two rather than just saying no. Please let me know if you have any other questions or need help with anything else. Thanks again and have a great day -- Sean

OP
OP

Reaction score
No your good! I appreciate the help, I have 33 on my truck now with no lift and I'm trying to be able to clear 35s. Would the coil spring raise it up enough for now and then later on do the spindle?

Maxtrac Suspension

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
No your good! I appreciate the help, I have 33 on my truck now with no lift and I'm trying to be able to clear 35s. Would the coil spring raise it up enough for now and then later on do the spindle?

Hmm, great question! Okay so there was a gentleman on here who posted a pic of his truck he has a 2013 Ram 1500 2wd with just our 2.5" coils on, 35x12.50x20 Nitto Mud Grapplers on his stock 20" wheels and according to him he barely had to even trim anything and they fit just fine. That was on the stock wheels though which are narrow and tucked in. I am not 100% certain that he didn't rub but pretty sure. I wish I could find the pic where he posted so you could ask him. You can definitely do just the coils now and then add the spindles later they work hand in hand or you can remove the coils and put the spindles on. Whichever way you would like to go will both work. Hope this helps sorry I can't give you an exact answer on the tires. It seems like it would be a massive tire for only a leveling kit but then again if he was able to pull it off, I can't see why you couldn't. Best of luck and please let me know if I can help out with anything else. Thanks and have a great weekend! -- Sean

OP
OP

Reaction score
I ordered the kit with the bilstein shocks but after I ordered I realized I ordered the kit for 5.7 2wd instead of the one for the 4.7 which is what I have. Is there a difference?

Maxtrac Suspension

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I ordered the kit with the bilstein shocks but after I ordered I realized I ordered the kit for 5.7 2wd instead of the one for the 4.7 which is what I have. Is there a difference?

Yes, the coils for the HEMI are a higher coil rate for the heavier motor and will more than likely top out the front suspension. It may put steep angles on everything and it may not align correctly so be safe...