Power Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramman87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Magnum
Hey guys, I am new this is my first ever post. Please bear with me.

I have a base model ram, so crank windows, manual locks.

Is it possible to convert it to power windows and power locks just by buying a whole door that has power everything from a junkyard or something like it.

My fuse/relay box, has the fuses for power windows and locks, but will the wiring be there.

Please help, thank you.

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Should be able to buy the power motors as well as everything else you need for the swap, but it's gonna be expensive. Somebody who knows more about this than I do will chime in soon and help you more.

Welcome to RF

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
There's kits out there and they aren't that expensive. Don't know if the wiring will be there, you'd have to tear into it and see for your self

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Some base models have the wiring in them, but not all. When I bought my truck it had the whole enchilada for wiring. You would have to check the build sheet too see which harness has been installed into your truck to be sure, or see if any extra wires are running in to your doors.

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
If you have a bare bones model, the st, then its not going to have any wiring for power options. Ive had my entire cab apart and didnt see anything for spare plugs.I wanted to do the same upgrades to my base model, and i did, but it wasnt cheap.

For power windows, you can remove the factory manual window regulators and install factory power regulators. The doors have provisions for both options. You can go oem or aftermarket as theyre almost the same price. For the switch wiring, look into SPAL window switches. Itll come with a complete wiring for driver and passenger side and the switches boxes cover up the holes for the manual cranks perfectly. That cost me about $300 and i have a regular cab.

For power locks i also went with SPAL power lock actuators. Those piggy back off the lock rod that comes through the door panel. The same company also makes a switch set to control them but i tied them into my alarm system so i didnt add them. That cost around $120 for both actuator kits.

It can be done but its time consuming and there is some basic wiring involved. Ive been running this setup for 2 years now and its been issue free. I also added power and heated leathers from an 02 but thats a whole different story

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
R

ramman87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Magnum
See I wonder if my truck has extra wires running here and there. The other day I was doing some general maintenance, and I noticed a random wire with a connector at the end that connected to a connector that connects to nothing, its not a ground either. This connector was located on the drivers side, on the metal frame in front of the radiator near the headlight almost.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
See I wonder if my truck has extra wires running here and there. The other day I was doing some general maintenance, and I noticed a random wire with a connector at the end that connected to a connector that connects to nothing, its not a ground either. This connector was located on the drivers side, on the metal frame in front of the radiator near the headlight almost.

I also have that one. I think it is related to the airbag but not sure. :893karatesmiley-thu

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum

does your truck have fog lights? If not some trucks as others have said have the wiring for it but doesn't connect to anything..

OP
OP
R

ramman87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Magnum
It does not have fog lights.

I have wondered if that is what the random wire is.

However, from other posts that I have read, that wire does not seem to be in the right place for fog lights.