Spare Tire Tailpipe Clearance Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heath_r_10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
On Friday I got a 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab SLT!

It didn't come with a spare, so I went to the local Dodge salvage yard and got one that will work with my 20" wheels.

They put it up, and when I got home I started looking at it. Then I noticed how alarmingly close the tailpipe is to the spare! I'd say I have no more than 1/4" clearance between the tailpipe and the spare. I shifted the tailpipe around as much as I could, and it would never make contact, but it was very close.

Is this going to be a problem, or is this normal?

Thanks for your input!

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
If the pipe is close it can cause a hard spot on the tire. When I carry one I throw it in the bed.

OP
OP
H

heath_r_10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Darn, so you're saying it will cause problems?

I was look at the tailpipe, and it looks like I could bend it away at least a couple inches before it would be poking out from the body. Has anyone ever done that? Seems like the most logical thing to do - it wouldn't really effect the appearance of the truck, and would allow you to use the stock spare position as it's intended.

Thanks for your input!

Wanderer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the stock exhaust on my "04"and the resinator is maybe a little more than an inch of clearance with the 20 inch spare. 100k and no issues.

krakaman24

2018 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
Does it look like an aftermarket exhaust system? Maybe it was too close and that's why the original owner pulled the spare. I installed an aftermarket exhaust system that was super close to my spare. It actually ended up melting through my spare tire while hauling a trailer across a couple states. The manufacturer recommended an inch clearance between the pipe and tire and said everything should be fine. In the end I fabricated an extra hanger and pulled it away from the tire a bit more. I now have about 2 inches of clearance between a bare pipe and the tire and haven't had a problem since.

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
i burned a dip in my spare from the exhaust pipes...definitely don't want it touching.