Upgrade to LED's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've found the LED bulbs to replace the regular bulbs, however I don't know if I need Electronic LED Flashers and/or Load Resistor Kits or both. I do know that the Electronic LED Flashers will work the turn signals and the 4-ways, but i have the steady on lights and reverse lights in the rear. (Total 3 bulbs per side in the rear.) The top and middle bulbs are 1157 and the bottom bulb (reverse light) is 1156. I plan on replacing my stock flasher with the Electronic LED Flashers, but what do I do about the other LED's? I think I'm confused.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
only need load resistors for the turn signals. one for each.

OP
OP
427invader

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if I use 1 load resistor per signal (total 4 load resistors) I can use the other LED's without consequence?

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
yes 1 resistor per turn and your good to go. If you have seperate brakelights which I think you have then you wont need them there.

OP
OP
427invader

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yes 1 resistor per turn and your good to go. If you have seperate brakelights which I think you have then you wont need them there.

I'll get my fiance in the truck to work the turn signals and bakes to see which of the three bulbs do what. Do you think I need the LED flasher with the resistors? And when I read the info on the resistors it said they get as hot as the bulbs and not to mount near plastic or paint. (So where do I mount them?)

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
On the inside of the tail light housing. Against the metal of the bed of the truck. The middle bulb of the three should be the turn bulb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
im usint the OEM flasher.

I just mounted mine to the metal behind the tail light. Screwed it right to the metal. Nothing else is even close to it so Its all good. and being screwed right to the metal there it will carry some of the heat off the resistor to the metal body to cool it a bit i hope

OP
OP
427invader

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just need to use a screw for the resistors that won't go through the body?

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
mines at a spot that there metal that is overlapped that is behind the tail light and not part that will punch thru the parts of the body you can see. I have a 2011 so I'm not sure what yours looks like behind the tail light. Looks like I will have to take a picture of the area tomorrow.

OP
OP
427invader

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got an oval of no space behind my housing for the wiring and then just the external bed. I don't know where else I'd put it.

OP
OP
427invader

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
O.K. I've got all the led's and resistors planned out except:

I want to get a set of the Angel Eyes in black or smoke. Do we have a vendor here that sells these? (Something like the Spyder's)

When I order them for my specific truck are they set up to accept the 9007 style bulb base and 3057 signal bulb base (the part of the housing that holds the bulb in the housing) and I'm thinking they are compatible with my wiring harness as long as I order the bulb style in my truck now?

Not sure if I want to go with led for the headlights or Bi-Xenon. I would love to do the Bi-Xenon. If I remember correct I priced them at $70 for bulbs, ballasts, and all. Not too bad imo. I just don't know if the led's would look as good in the Angel Eyes.

OP
OP
427invader

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got everything ordered except the red led for the third brake light. It's out of stock.
I keep thinking I should have got the ceramic resistors instead of the aluminum, but oh well too late now.
I'll get some before and after night pics as I get that far.

Damn, didn't my packages get here yet? I hate the wait! LOL :killer:

OP
OP
427invader

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some of my packages arrived. WOOHOO!!

I took night pics of the truck with it stock.

I seem to be having problems with Photobucket. When I get it straightened out, I'll post the before night pics. If I can't get it figured out, I'll post all pics via another site.

OP
OP
427invader

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Been a while since I've had a moment to get on here, I've been tearing down and rebuilding my deck and screened porch on top of getting my wedding set up, so I thought I'd pop on and give an update to escape for a minute.

The only lights on the exterior of my truck that are not LED's are the brake bulbs. I got the Spyder Headlights with the halo's and LED's installed in about an hour and a half to do both. (Very easy) I installed one resistor per turn signal as directed. The truck passed inspection on Fri. (WooHoo, all the lights worked!:p)

Oh yea, the brake lights work fine as original filament bulbs. When I put in the LED's they stay lit just fine in parking light mode. When I push on the brakes (with the parking lights on or off) they flash like a set of strobe lights.

Any one know what I need to do to get them to not flash and stay steady bright until I let off the brake?

OP
OP
427invader

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, guys. I have got my new headlights in. Had to use resistors for the turn/parking bulb. I also got the new third brake light and taillights in. They don't need the resistors. They came from the factory resistored (or however they do it). All the lights are from Spyder and the front and rear match. I'll post pics in the next few days.