Gauge light colors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've heard before this couldn't be done. But I really want to change the color of the lights on my gauges from green to blue. Just wondering if anybody has done this or has seen it done.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The 3rd gen clusters have replaceable LEDs which can easily be swapped out for coloured LEDs, you just need the bulb numbers which I have seen a list on another forum but can't remember which one. Blue is the easiest since the gauges have a green film over them which uses the white/yellow bulbs to give you the ****** oem green.

KPietriyk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not to be snotty, but why does everyone go with blue LEDs? Worst color for clarity and night vision, that's why they invented "Blue Blocker" glasses for night driving. I know you can get replacement LED bulbs in any color, but a lot of vehicle accessories that have LEDs "baked in" come with blue. Kind of annoying.

Any electronics that come with a blinding blue power LED on the front get electrical tape around here.

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The 3rd gen clusters have replaceable LEDs which can easily be swapped out for coloured LEDs, you just need the bulb numbers which I have seen a list on another forum but can't remember which one. Blue is the easiest since the gauges have a green film over them which uses the white/yellow bulbs to give you the ****** oem green.
Actually the gages have a blue film on them and when you use the incandescent yellowish bulbs. The gages are then green. When you just switch to the white led bulbs they will be blue. If you want blue gauges then all you need to do is replace the incandescent bulbs with white led bulbs.

OP
OP
BigBlue05

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Not to be snotty, but why does everyone go with blue LEDs? Worst color for clarity and night vision, that's why they invented "Blue Blocker" glasses for night driving. I know you can get replacement LED bulbs in any color, but a lot of vehicle accessories that have LEDs "baked in" come with blue. Kind of annoying.

Any electronics that come with a blinding blue power LED on the front get electrical tape around here.

The reason i am doing blue is because my truck is going to be all black and blue inside and out when i am done with it. It would look goofy to have blue and black interior and have the gauges be any other color than blue. IMO.

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins

I disagree on that :naughty:

Attachments

• 20150313_200346-1.jpg
    20150313_200346-1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 107

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Mine went from the factory green to a very custom orange. I had to rub all the old green/blue film off with rubbing alcohol to get it clear so I could have the orange LEDs I wired onto the boards come through. I also used orange lighting gels to tint the odometer display.

Attachments

• IMG_1893.jpg
    IMG_1893.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2817.jpg
    IMG_2817.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 73

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
Mine went from the factory green to a very custom orange. I had to rub all the old green/blue film off with rubbing alcohol to get it clear so I could have the orange LEDs I wired onto the boards come through. I also used orange lighting gels to tint the odometer display.
Dope.

DRE_MEX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2015
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Would you happen to have a tutorial on how to rub the tint on the speedometer? Or pics of you doing it?

DRE_MEX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2015
Engine
HEMI 5.7

Would you happen to have or direct us to a tutorial as to how to rub off the color on the Odometer?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Would you happen to have or direct us to a tutorial as to how to rub off the color on the Odometer?

Rubbing alcohol and q-tips; it takes a long long time but you don't want to use anything too aggressive like acetone unless you can get it washed off as soon as the coloring comes off.

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 SLT Quad Cab Short Bed
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can we get a list of LED Bulb numbers we would need? Are they all the same size?