Anyone do a side mirror running light mod on the 5th gen non tow mirrors (the electric folding ones)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThinkMud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2022 Bighorn with the Off Road package that came with the electric folding mirrors, they have blinker lights so I was wondering if anyone has done or knows of a kit to buy to make the blinkers running lights? I've only seen write-ups or kits for the classic tow mirrors.

Here is a pic of truck and mirrors:
IMG_1096.PNG

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Something like this?

OP
OP
ThinkMud

ThinkMud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, thank you! but holy crazy install batman! lol

I do think it would be good for where I live though, narrow back roads that barely fit 2 trucks, some places one truck has to go off to the shoulder to pass. That install doesn't look fun though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ThinkMud

ThinkMud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
looks like they have 2 versions, 1 that is 50% bright while headlights on, and 100% when acting as a blinker, vs 100% bright while headlights on and 100% when acting as a blinker... I wonder which would be better?

weldguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every other oncoming car will flash bright lights at you guys... and rightly so!

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Every other oncoming car will flash bright lights at you guys... and rightly so!
Your mad about marker lights being bright? Lol wait till you find out about led headlights

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
looks like they have 2 versions, 1 that is 50% bright while headlights on, and 100% when acting as a blinker, vs 100% bright while headlights on and 100% when acting as a blinker... I wonder which would be better?
I was wondering the same thing. Been looking for a video post installation that shows the mirrors with truck lights off. The install videos start with how they would look but then another separate video I saw on a 5th Gen install said that the mirror running lights are on all the time after installing regardless of if truck lights are on or off.

Meanwhile, I found this other option from JHD. I assume it is the 100% running light and blinker combination. Seems a bit simpler to install and cheaper, but not sure if the Boost kit is more robust.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ThinkMud

ThinkMud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was wondering the same thing. Been looking for a video post installation that shows the mirrors with truck lights off. The install videos start with how they would look but then another separate video I saw on a 5th Gen install said that the mirror running lights are on all the time after installing regardless of if truck lights are on or off.

Meanwhile, I found this other option from JHD. I assume it is the 100% running light and blinker combination. Seems a bit simpler to install and cheaper, but not sure if the Boost kit is more robust.

The JHD's install video is for the 4th gens, but that one does look more simple and way less money. I emailed them and they said their kit does work with the 5th gens as well. The Boost version 2 one says it makes the lights be on anytime the truck is running, regardless if the lights or running lights are turned on (which I do not want). I may go with the JHD one and use some of both install videos to help with installing (like removing door panels from the boost one's 5th gen install videos).. I like 23 bucks better than 100 too lol. Also the JHD one says they have a resister in place to make them not as bright when on as a running light. I think for how cheap that one is, I'll try it first.

OP
OP
ThinkMud

ThinkMud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just emailed JHD back and asked if his is always on or only on with the lights on. I would assume only with the lights on since it ties into the light switch and not the fuse box like the boost one. I'll report back when he responds.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I like the bright running and bright turn signal, but equally dislike the always on. Keep us informed on how it goes, will be interested to see your results. I highly recommend a set of the plastic removal tools like this one below, made all the difference for the various installs I have done including recently installing USB outlets in the rear doors.

Good luck

GOOACC 5 PCS Nylon Auto Trim Removal Tool Kit No-Scratch Removal Tool Kit for Car Panel & Audio Dashboard Dismantle Red https://a.co/d/9j2CMdN

OP
OP
ThinkMud

ThinkMud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
He emailed back saying the JDH ones only come one with the lights are on. So I'm going to order it today. Good idea about the plastic removal tools, I bought a kit with them in a while back and they are great.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
He emailed back saying the JDH ones only come one with the lights are on. So I'm going to order it today. Good idea about the plastic removal tools, I bought a kit with them in a while back and they are great.
Did you do this upgrade? If so, how did it go?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Shout out to @Jimmy07 for help with this modification. Much cheaper that DDP's units and I personally think better, support is excellent and he responds very quickly to any question and walks you through things. It is all plug and play, and just needs AlphaOBD to turn on. So much better than others that require running wires through the door and across the dash area.

If you are thinking about the conversion of tow mirror blinker lights to running lights, look no further.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have it here waiting for me to intall lol, but will update when I ever get around to it lol
I just did mine as I wrote above. Easy thing to do and well worth it. I like the effect. Let me know how your install goes.

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You tube install, i have seen a couple of videos, decided didnt want to chance breaking my mirror caps or glass......

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You tube install, i have seen a couple of videos, decided didnt want to chance breaking my mirror caps or glass......
Contact the person I used in my above post. Very easy, all in one harness that just plugs in. No cutting or splicing, all contained near control unit in middle of door.