LED's in the floor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jcasey10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
I'm curious if anyone here has placed LED's to light up their floor in the front and rear of a quad cab. I'm wanting to wire up some LED strips to give some light down there and I was curious on mounting positions and how you wired them up.

I was thinking of mounting them under the dash somewhere to light up the front and on the bottom of the seats to light up the rear floor. I planned on running wiring under the carpet to make it look clean as I already have sub wires underneath the drivers seat for my amp and sub in the back.

I'd like to wire it in to the headlight switch so anytime my headlights are on, the LED's would come on as well. I figure I can just tap in to the power wire for the switch somehow.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have 2 12" MAX LED strips from Autozone, one in each foot well (only a reg cab).

I tapped into the dome light wire (so it comes on with doors open / triggered with the dash switch). I love em, but WOW are they bright!

If you wanted something to be on at all times at night, I'd get nothing more than a 6" strip, and the regular LEDs, NOT the MAX LEDs. I think those would be SUPER annoying.

To mount them, without what I call "Light pollution" (being able to directly see the LEDs themselves) I mounted them in the U channel you can buy to mount shelves to walls. This worked perfectly, allows the light to shine down/out but you cannot in any way see the LEDs themselves. I thought I had pictures on Photobucket but I can't find em.

OP
OP
Jcasey10

Jcasey10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
I have 2 12" MAX LED strips from Autozone, one in each foot well (only a reg cab).

I tapped into the dome light wire (so it comes on with doors open / triggered with the dash switch). I love em, but WOW are they bright!

If you wanted something to be on at all times at night, I'd get nothing more than a 6" strip, and the regular LEDs, NOT the MAX LEDs. I think those would be SUPER annoying.

To mount them, without what I call "Light pollution" (being able to directly see the LEDs themselves) I mounted them in the U channel you can buy to mount shelves to walls. This worked perfectly, allows the light to shine down/out but you cannot in any way see the LEDs themselves. I thought I had pictures on Photobucket but I can't find em.

I talked to my buddies over at the audio store, and they said wiring directly in to headlights with the can-bus system can be finicky with LED's. I don't wanna tie them in to the dome lights because mine don't even come on when the driver's door is on. I want them on at all times at night, my tint is very dark and I can't see a thing in my truck.

I plan on mounting them up behind something to keep them from shining up, I don't wanna blind myself.

that white kid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
if you have a stereo you can wire them to your amp so when the subs hit then the light light up and its like a party everytime theres music. just a sugestion

Rollincoal420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Oh6
Engine
C
Or the parking lights, like the rest of ur daah

Samsung SCH-I510 tapatalkin 2 u

OP
OP
Jcasey10

Jcasey10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
Or the parking lights, like the rest of ur daah

Samsung SCH-I510 tapatalkin 2 u

That's what my audio buddy told me. I already have LED's in my sub box that are wired to the amp, and havin all those leds flash constantly would drive me crazy. I'm leaning more towards the parking lights.

Rocket14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't recommend having them on all the time they mess with your eyes driving at night after a wile. I have mine wired to switches. Idk y but it wont let me upload pictures of them.

Armyman14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Go over to auto zone and they have one multi colored for 40 bucks comes with 2 12" strips I'm pretty sure, just attach the control thing to the dash and you can use it whenever you want. All you gotta do is push a button for them to turn on with your headlights. Here are the exact lights, this is what I going to get

image-3212030095.jpg

moparman33

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QCSB 4X4
Engine
4.7L magnum
ive got some of the led strips in my quad cab that are powered by the dome light. when the doors are open they are on, etc. the led strips use a 3m tape that adheres to surfaces pretty well as long as they are clean of dirt and dust. i agree with Rocket14, after a while of driving at night it will mess with your vision. with that in mind if you are still wanting to do it i would tap into my park lights or even a positive wire in your hvac control etc. one of the safest bets would be a toggle switch hooked into a wire that is powered while your ignition is in run or acc

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
Go over to auto zone and they have one multi colored for 40 bucks comes with 2 12" strips I'm pretty sure, just attach the control thing to the dash and you can use it whenever you want. All you gotta do is push a button for them to turn on with your headlights. Here are the exact lights, this is what I going to get

View attachment 9093

I"ve had a set similar to that in my car for over a year now, love em because you can adjust the brightness and have it slowly (or quickly) cycle through the colors. The slow cycle just fades from one color to the next, they're awesome

Mega Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a different set of LED's that are 12v, red, and came out of a sign. I used 3M VHB tape, and stuck them under each seat. Under the rear seats, I ran the wires behind the seats under the door sills, and under the carpet under the front seats. There is a slit for the wires under the 2 front seats. Then again under the carpet, under the door sills to the bottom of the dash under the steering wheel to a separate switch.

Sounds like a lot, but actually pretty simple.

hawk8945

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have done the cup holder light add on you could tie them in there. There is a wire under the radio area to do that or like I did when I added my radio I tied into the dimmer line on the harness.

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Jcasey10,
If it isn't too late, i have a set of blue LED bars from LEDglow online. I mounted them under my seats facing the pedals and the firewall. With the LEDglow ones i have a controller to allow them to flash, glow, and flash with the beat of the music. I like my projects to be clean, and I don't like people having the ability to see the mod until it works.

Here is a picture of my floor boards with the lights on

Attachments

• IMAG0139.jpg
    IMAG0139.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 59

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
They are a good kit, they are bright but they are not obnoxiously bright to where they annoy you while driving. Half the time I don't even notice they are on haha

MossyOakRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I put some blue ones under the dash on the driver and passenger side, they are sticky so I stuck one on the passenger side and zip tied one to some wire under steering wheel lol, they are wicked bright at night, I wired mine to a switch plugged in to the cigarette lighter plug so I can turn em on when ever I want :)