03 to 05 PCM swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Did anyone else have issues with their abs not working? When I first swapped, I had no abs lights and my cruise would work sporadically. Then one day loading a tune I got the brake and abs light pop on and stay on. I lost all cruise control and also my abs system quit working. I know because I slid on a wet road and it didn't release

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Both trucks I've done my abs light and brake lights were on until I rolled about 30 ft. And they both went out. If you have an ABS light and brake lamp on always, you have an issue with some components of the ABS. It will disable ABS from working. Even a check engine light at times will prevent abs from working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Do abs cel show up on a standard obd-2 scanner? Or do I need an abs scanner? No abs code show up on my trinity or scanner, so that's why I'm wondering if the pcm or vin is mismatched to the abs modules

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do abs cel show up on a standard obd-2 scanner? Or do I need an abs scanner? No abs code show up on my trinity or scanner, so that's why I'm wondering if the pcm or vin is mismatched to the abs modules

Even if it does have vin mismatch codes, that won't prevent cruise. But you'll need a scanner to look up ABS codes. And the trinity won't see them.

Is your ABS light or brake lamp always on?

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yes always on. They didn't come on at first with the new pcm, then one time loading/revising a tune, the lights popped on and never went off. I've heard of diablo fragging the abs modules on the older rams before

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes always on. They didn't come on at first with the new pcm, then one time loading/revising a tune, the lights popped on and never went off. I've heard of diablo fragging the abs modules on the older rams before

Maybe return it back to stock. Disconnect the battery. Then re-connect. Re-Load the tune and see what happens. Make sure after you tune it, cycle the key and then just drive 15-30 feet. Those lights should turn off.

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If they don't then u may need something to kill the dtcs in the ABS module. I think I had that once on my silver truck.

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Maybe return it back to stock. Disconnect the battery. Then re-connect. Re-Load the tune and see what happens. Make sure after you tune it, cycle the key and then just drive 15-30 feet. Those lights should turn off.

I've done it multiple times, especially with all the work I've been doing to the truck, it's been retuned and tweaked a bunch. The battery has been disconnected for the past two weeks while the engine has been out.

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
So after I put the engine back together, my abs and brake lights went out for good. Maybe it was a bad connection on the abs sensors. I have about 4 cel's relating to mismatched cruise wires, so I'll probably switch those wires back.

Austin Andersen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
A little late to the party but has anyone successfully completed this. I have an old 03 that I messed around with too much in high school and never could get it to run properly with all the mods that hat. At this point I’m just trying to get back so I can drive it as it is that no warehouse for many years. A little late to the party but has anyone successfully completed this. I have an old 03 that I messed around with too much in high school and never could get it to run properly with all the mods that hat. At this point I’m just trying to get back so I can drive it as it is that no warehouse for many years. I had a place to install the wire conversion made by hotwire auto. However I kept running into numerous issues with Diablo and superchips and getting the truck to run at all. Would really appreciate being able to talk to someone on the phone about what they did and what I need to try doing at this point.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Chris is the expert on current 03-5 swaps. He'll be along shortly. We have a lot of swap info on HTC forum. You can also pm him. I successfully did mine a couple years ago but mine was a little different than most being I used a manual transmission pcm.

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
A little late to the party but has anyone successfully completed this. I have an old 03 that I messed around with too much in high school and never could get it to run properly with all the mods that hat. At this point I’m just trying to get back so I can drive it as it is that no warehouse for many years. A little late to the party but has anyone successfully completed this. I have an old 03 that I messed around with too much in high school and never could get it to run properly with all the mods that hat. At this point I’m just trying to get back so I can drive it as it is that no warehouse for many years. I had a place to install the wire conversion made by hotwire auto. However I kept running into numerous issues with Diablo and superchips and getting the truck to run at all. Would really appreciate being able to talk to someone on the phone about what they did and what I need to try doing at this point.

Quite a few of us have got the swap done and running, myself included. What issues are you having? You have a 05 wired in now with the hot wire harness? I don’t personally have any experience with the hot wire stuff, I did all my wiring.

I Bleed Ram Trucks

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve done 2 myself. One was a 03 268 comp cam, the other was a supercharged 03 ram.

Did both to the 05 system with full wiring to the 02 sensors.

Never used a hot wire auto harness.

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
If you’re having running issues, my first guess is they wired the 02 sensors in backwards. I had that issue before I figured out the banks were swapped, but it would barely run and stall out

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Austin Andersen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you’re having running issues, my first guess is they wired the 02 sensors in backwards. I had that issue before I figured out the banks were swapped, but it would barely run and stall out

I Bleed Ram Trucks
I dont know what they did. He said it would start and then die instantly when idling which is issue I had before the swap. We add issues with diablo bricking computer when swapping tunes. It would throw error and I had to send to diablo to reset pcm. I would like to get it to hot tod shop and have you guys explain to them what to look for. I have ported heads, comp 260 cam amongst many other addons. I also bought a 3815 superchips but it wouldnt load due to locked pcm. I just saw truck today so next time i have day off will try and get battery running to see what condition its in.

Austin Andersen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
7CC0C5A8-6F6E-48D0-A544-4780CCC5B557.jpeg

I Bleed Ram Trucks
Also in all seriousness. Would you consider flying down to get it running for me? Im in KC, Kansas.

Ps. I recently bought new 2017 crew cab ram, cant get enough of Ram

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I dont know what they did. He said it would start and then die instantly when idling which is issue I had before the swap. We add issues with diablo bricking computer when swapping tunes. It would throw error and I had to send to diablo to reset pcm. I would like to get it to hot tod shop and have you guys explain to them what to look for. I have ported heads, comp 260 cam amongst many other addons. I also bought a 3815 superchips but it wouldnt load due to locked pcm. I just saw truck today so next time i have day off will try and get battery running to see what condition its in.

Where did you get your 05 pcm? You were having idle issues before the swap, any codes? It might be stalling out from running the comp 260 without tune adjustments

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Austin Andersen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Where did you get your 05 pcm? You were having idle issues before the swap, any codes? It might be stalling out from running the comp 260 without tune adjustments

I Bleed Ram Trucks
Got it all off ebay. Shipped to hotwireauto and they did the conversion. Thats why I tried diablo bc of the comp 260. Had someone send me custom tune. Still stalled. I will have to get it started up to see what codes its throwing