03 to 05 PCM swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I'll have to go over the pcm pins one more time again when I have a free evening.

c73467f2de2a559357ac5e3f85ff5842.jpg
This is the diagram I am doing along with my wire color codes I wrote on the side.
8a6bb2200a68a20cb231465c9bf6ac65.jpg
That's the code I am getting whether the sensor is plugged in or not

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok. So just to make sure u saw this when you're doing your wiring.
Your existing wiring for the 02 sensors makes your existing sensors basically the left bank sensors.
Originally on the 03s you'll have a 1/1 and a 1/2 sensor because there are usually only 2 sensors on the truck.

Now for the 05 wiring:

I actually went in and bypassed the original harness and ran new wires up to the PCM so I didn't get confused as to what I was wiring up. The grounds are easy, you can literally take all of the pin 2s together, bundle them all up and run them all directly to ground.

So your 1/2 and 2/2 sensors should have 1 wire at pin3 at both sensors spliced together into a single wire and should go to pin 32 at connector c2 at the PCM.
Pin 2 at both sensors can be ran directly to chassis ground.

Pin 4 from the left downstream 1/2 should go to pin 31 at connector c1 at the PCM, and pin4 from 2/2 should go to pin 33 at c1 at the PCM.

Pin 1 at sensor 1/2 goes to c3 pin 9 , and pin 1 at 2/2 sensor goes to c3 pin 10.

That's how the downstream sensors should be ran.

Now upstreams : same deal, pins 3 at the upstream sensors both go to 1 single wire up to the PCM to connector c1 pin 32.

Both pin 2 wires go to chassis ground again.

Pin4 1/1 goes to pin 31 at c2 , pin 4 at 2/1 goes to c2 pin 33

Pin 1 at 1/1 goes to c2 pin 18 and pin 1 at 1/2 goes to c2 pin 17.

But however, keep in mind you're basically having to add only the 2/1 sensor and the 2/2 sensors. You're adding the right bank in wiring. I got confused by that my first go around and actually wired everything up all messed up and had to start over.

Maybe u looked over the wiring and got confused at to what sensors you're adding. Look over them very carefully. Try and compare them as much as you can. It took me a while to get everything right with what I needed. But it all worked out.

Hopefully this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah so your heater control circuit isn't there. Bank 2 sensor 1 or 2/1 sensor just basically isn't hooked up right. Remember, you're gonna be adding this sensor into the harness at the pcm cause right now it's non existent. Your adding the upstream and down stream sensor for the right side of the engine.

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I need to fine people to send me their harnesses, I'd convert them over for them lol. Or just buy up a bunch of 03 harnesses and convert them and sell them. I wish there was more of a market for it hahah

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I need to fine people to send me their harnesses, I'd convert them over for them lol. Or just buy up a bunch of 03 harnesses and convert them and sell them. I wish there was more of a market for it hahah

That would be ideal haha

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yeah so your heater control circuit isn't there. Bank 2 sensor 1 or 2/1 sensor just basically isn't hooked up right. Remember, you're gonna be adding this sensor into the harness at the pcm cause right now it's non existent. Your adding the upstream and down stream sensor for the right side of the engine.

Right side as in passenger side or right side looking from the front? My original sensors are passenger, me new ones are underneath the driver side. As far as I know the driver side will be the new 2/1 and 2/2.

When I get home tonight or tomorrow, I'll try to take some pictures of what I added in. I added a splice and two pins to c1, asplice and two pins on c2, and added a pin at c3-10. I'll double check everything again later

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I appreciate all that info. It helps a lot having someone work with me. I'm sure I have one wire crossed somewhere and it's gonna be embarrassing when I find it haha. I'll print off some fresh pinout sheets, label everything again and go over my wiring with a fine tooth comb, I'm wondering if I possibly have a bad splice on my upstream signal return.
Now I almost always solder my joints on all my car wiring, and use heat shrink tape. Would it be better to try crimp connections? I'm wondering if maybe I have a cold solder joint somewhere. I have a good ground for sure, I scraped some paint off the frame and drilled a new ground for my two wires.

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Right side means passenger side. So 2/1 and 2/2 means passenger side upstream and passenger side down stream. Your original sensors should have gone on the left side (drivers side, and you're adding the right side (passengers).

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I appreciate all that info. It helps a lot having someone work with me. I'm sure I have one wire crossed somewhere and it's gonna be embarrassing when I find it haha. I'll print off some fresh pinout sheets, label everything again and go over my wiring with a fine tooth comb, I'm wondering if I possibly have a bad splice on my upstream signal return.
Now I almost always solder my joints on all my car wiring, and use heat shrink tape. Would it be better to try crimp connections? I'm wondering if maybe I have a cold solder joint somewhere. I have a good ground for sure, I scraped some paint off the frame and drilled a new ground for my two wires.

I soldered everything on mine to. I doubt you have a bad solder point, you may have the solder point in the wrong place. But probably not a bad one.

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Right side means passenger side. So 2/1 and 2/2 means passenger side upstream and passenger side down stream. Your original sensors should have gone on the left side (drivers side, and you're adding the right side (passengers).

Ok that's not how they are on my truck. Could that be my problem? Is the engine adjust the a/f ratio on the wrong banks now?

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok that's not how they are on my truck. Could that be my problem? Is the engine adjust the a/f ratio on the wrong banks now?

Well. If you have the wiring just jacked up cause you have an upstream where a downstream goes or vice versa, it will cause the craziness that's happening. Specifically because when you unplug the sensor the truck runs normally. So you have something wrong somewhere. I'd almost start over completely on your 02 wiring.

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Well I think what I'll do is pull out all the 02 pins and swap them basically side to side. At least the pins pull out easy enough

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hopefully u can figure out where it's not right. I'd start over really. Pull the wiring you know you pulled. And re-wire the passenger side sensors

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
OK finally got it nailed down. Apparently the problem was the sensor banks were backwards. I pulled the pcm plugs out and just switched pin locations for every sensor wire. The truck runs way better now. My only issue that's alittle weird is occasionally I'll have a rough idle when the truck is in drive. If I shift it to neutral it goes away. It doesn't happen all the time but it's still puzzling. But overall super happy to finally get this running right. Thanks for all your help guys, I'm excited to start moving on to new performance projects. If anyone has a spare comp 260 cam laying around...

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Special thanks to @jotin . He solved my problem by writing that super long post the other day. You were a big help, thanks!

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Special thanks to @jotin . He solved my problem by writing that super long post the other day. You were a big help, thanks!

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. I'll being doing the wiring here in the next few days myself. :(

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Glad to hear you got it sorted out. I'll being doing the wiring here in the next few days myself. :(

Well I'm sure the second time around is much easier, and you definitely seem to have an idea what's going on haha. Good luck

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I'm sure the second time around is much easier, and you definitely seem to have an idea what's going on haha. Good luck

Lol thanks. I need to do a write up on this hahaha

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Lol thanks. I need to do a write up on this hahaha

Yeah someone should definitely do one good write up with everything needed and some good steps. I had to piece together way to much stuff from several different forums and tons of threads. But the only thing is, how many more people are gonna do this to a 15 year old truck haha. I think the demand is probably gone

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK finally got it nailed down. Apparently the problem was the sensor banks were backwards. I pulled the pcm plugs out and just switched pin locations for every sensor wire. The truck runs way better now. My only issue that's alittle weird is occasionally I'll have a rough idle when the truck is in drive. If I shift it to neutral it goes away. It doesn't happen all the time but it's still puzzling. But overall super happy to finally get this running right. Thanks for all your help guys, I'm excited to start moving on to new performance projects. If anyone has a spare comp 260 cam laying around...

That weird idle issue I have too there was a tsb about it back in 05. I got around it by upping my idle with my tuner