03 Ram Stalling Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmac7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram, 4 door, 4 wheel drive with a 4.7 motor

The truck will stall out somewhat randomly .. sometimes when I turn the key to start it will just cut it short and will stop cranking, sometimes pulling away from a stop sign or red light, most commonly it will do it on high speeds and an incline or when trying to tow something heavy (another truck, heavy trailer, etc)

When it stalls out at ANY of these times, all the gauges stop dead where they are for about a second then drop completely, the square indicator box around the gear you are in disappears but all the letters (P, R, N, D, etc) all still show just without showing which gear you are in. In order to start, you need to put the truck into 'P'ark, turn the key off then turn it will start again, that is the only way.

So far I've tried new fuel pump, new crankshaft sensor, new PCM, new ignition .. have had the vacuum lines checked for leaks (and none), cleaned the TPS and had it tested (which tested fine).

It seems to be electrical related but I am not sure anymore, no garage around can figure it out, it is not throwing any codes.

Any other ideas out there?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Tipcm(fuse box under hood) they go bad on almost every 3rd gen from moisture that causes corrosion. Auto mix.com has hundreds of them to choose from for 135$ shipped.

nathantc

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 sxt 120
Engine
3.7 V6
my 03 4.7 quad cab does this, maybe 1-3 times a month, you say its the fuse box.

same exact thing, the gauges, the box around the gear indicator, and the fact that you cant even hit the starter until you put it in park, turn the key all the way off, then it starts like nothing is wrong at all.

there is no check engine light, no codes, not missing, sputtering or any flickering of any lights, and all the running lights blinker headlights ect all stay working without a hitch.

when it dies it just dies like as if you turned the key off, also when it dies the fuel pump is no longer pumping even when you turn the key off (as far as you can in neutral) and back on again. the starter and fuel pump do nothing until you put it in park and turn the key all they way to the off position. then everything returns to normal.

as for the gauges even the speedo drops to zero no matter how fast the truck is coasting

STEVE GIBLIN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram, 4 door, 4 wheel drive with a 4.7 motor

The truck will stall out somewhat randomly .. sometimes when I turn the key to start it will just cut it short and will stop cranking, sometimes pulling away from a stop sign or red light, most commonly it will do it on high speeds and an incline or when trying to tow something heavy (another truck, heavy trailer, etc)

When it stalls out at ANY of these times, all the gauges stop dead where they are for about a second then drop completely, the square indicator box around the gear you are in disappears but all the letters (P, R, N, D, etc) all still show just without showing which gear you are in. In order to start, you need to put the truck into 'P'ark, turn the key off then turn it will start again, that is the only way.

So far I've tried new fuel pump, new crankshaft sensor, new PCM, new ignition .. have had the vacuum lines checked for leaks (and none), cleaned the TPS and had it tested (which tested fine).

It seems to be electrical related but I am not sure anymore, no garage around can figure it out, it is not throwing any codes.

Any other ideas out there?
I have the exact Ram you have with the same problem. Have replaced everything you did. Still stalling out on highway. Did you ever get yours fixed?

JJ dragons

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l magnum
Anybody find a solution to this problem? My 03 4.7L ram has been doing it for about six months and I'm at my Witt's end. I am now changing my evap solenoid canister and hoping that fixes it. Was hoping that since the last post was 2 years ago that Steve giblin had gotten an answer.

tankertec

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 2500 6.7 ram
Engine
6.7 cummins
My 2011 2500 6.7 started doing this after months of acting like dead batteries yet I could hook up my mechanics starter button on starter selonoid with key still on and boom truck started fine . Got codes for intermittent voltage to bcm . Some live data on scanner would show 0.1 volt difference at times when getting codes for voltage. Then started to get stalling while driving. Finally had to have ignition key switch ( node) channged( dealer only) . Wiggle your key slightly left or right while running. If it dies that $ 400 switch is going bad.

tankertec

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 2500 6.7 ram
Engine
6.7 cummins
Did more research and not sure when the ignitions in dodge changed to where you had to have it programmed by the cash hungry dealer , but looking at 03 dodge trucks, looks like it can be done yourself unlike newer ones. It all boils down to dealer only work on it. Just glad they don’t make airplanes cause mine would have dropped out of the sky along time ago. With all the stalling issues I’ve had off and on , just gets iffy coming down steep mountain pass in the rain knowing it just might quit today.