Ac blower fan problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys. I have an 06 1500 mega cab and have been having a problem with my ac blower fan for almost a month now. First happened in Colorado on vacation. My fan doesn't seem to want to turn on sometimes. First time it did it, my truck was running and ac had been turned on about 10 min prior , went to turn back on and it wouldn't work. Finally got to beat in on the housing and it turned on and worked fine. Got back to Texas and everything was good. Now for some reason, if I turn my ac on too quick after starting the truck it doesn't turn on, then after a few min will. Well yesterday after getting gas I turned it on real fast for some reason and it wouldn't work. Went over and tapped on the housing and it fired up, but now ac doesn't blow as cold as it did! So today I took out the fan to check it out and all looked good to me. When we were in Colorado, we drove on alot of roads that were REALLY bumpy! Thought maybe that had something to do with my problem cause it never did this before that. Anyone have any ideas? ? Thanks

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Did you check the recirculation door located above the fan? The plastic hinges are known to break and the door can become dislodged and block the air flow or maybe prevent the fan from spinning. When mine broke it made a whirring sound when the door rubbed against the fan blades. Either that or loose wire connections?

OP
OP
Jeremy73

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you check the recirculation door located above the fan? The plastic hinges are known to break and the door can become dislodged and block the air flow or maybe prevent the fan from spinning. When mine broke it made a whirring sound when the door rubbed against the fan blades. Either that or loose wire connections?
When I looked above the fan from the bottom I saw no door. Just open.. all the wires seems good and tight.

HemiSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7, Ecodiesel
Sounds like your blower motor is going out. There is no way to just pull it out and look at it to see if the motor is going bad. If you keep using it, the high resistance it is creating will eventually burn out the blower motor resistor. Good luck getting it fixed up!

cobra2411

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When it stops working does it still work on high? I had a similar problem and it was the blower resister. The fan only worked on high.

OP
OP
Jeremy73

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No it works on all settings... or doesn't work on all settings at times. I do feel like it should blow quite a bit harder though. Should i just go ahead and replace the fan?

bjbockemehl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jeremy, I recently had the same exact problem with my 05 1500. It would come on when it wanted to. The. It would only do it if I hit a bump. After a month of this, it wouldn't come in at all no matter what. I ended up replacing it. I got a replacement from pep boys and it only cost me about 90 bucks and a quick 10 min change.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Alternately you could look for one in salvage yard and might end up spending a little less.

But as previously mentioned here, I would definitely do a little research on the Recirculation door and other HVAC related issues our trucks are plagued with.

I certainly hope the Dodge engineers have done some homework on these ventilation systems in newer generations of trucks...

OP
OP
Jeremy73

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info guys. It's now to where if it's not blowing hard I gotta go bang on the blower housing a few times till its blowing good, then most of the time it stays blowing good and if it backs off I just go bang it again. Gets pretty annoying. Lol. I'll replace it when I get some extra moolah

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You should be able to find a low buck replacement from a slavage yard.

Just my 2 cents, take a few minutes to remove the blower fan from the motor and give it a good clean before installing back in.

Also you can reach in the Plenum and with a damp cloth get some of the muggy dust on the plenum walls. When you start your system back again after those steps, have someone with you in the truck hold some damp cloths over the vents. You'll find the cloths will catch some of the loose dust your cleaning and fan blower replacement has loosened up.

Some of that dust can be pretty nasty ont he lungs.

My 2 cents

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where can you see the fan. Mine didn't blow strong even on high, crazy cold but little power. I think the door is broken and needs fixing.

Jdchambersjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On mine, the recirculation door had broken off and would slide over the fan, partially blocking the airflow. Take out the fan (3 torx screws) then reach inside the open space, you may find a loose piece of plastic (the recirculation door). You will have to break it if you want to take it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jeremy73

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On mine, the recirculation door had broken off and would slide over the fan, partially blocking the airflow. Take out the fan (3 torx screws) then reach inside the open space, you may find a loose piece of plastic (the recirculation door). You will have to break it if you want to take it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've reached up there. Didn't feel anything loose.