Brake questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoMangoMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This may sound like a dumb question but here is goes: Other than the obvious material, what is the difference between semi-metallic and ceramic brake pads? Dust? Performance? Price?

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dust is inherent with the use of the pad, as they wear away. Ceramic pads work better at higher temperatures and retain their stopping ability better than semi metallic pads. Heat is the main killer to brakes. That's why they have various combinations of slotted and drilled rotors.

In my opinion, if you're not doing heavy stopping like on a track situation or routinely towing a heavy trailer, you can stick with semi metallic pads.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I fully agree, ceramic are stable at high temperature, but need to be operated at high temperatures to work correctly.

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
not sure how true this is, but i was told that ceramics are "harder" and could cause your rotors to groove. mine did but i think it was because of collapsed brake hoses, but i did change to the wagner thermo quiet pads when i did the calipers and hoses.

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not really harder. They're a ceramic and carbon fiber hybrid. This makes them lighter and have a higher tolerance for heat. The best way to grove up your rotors is to not change the pads once their worn and you start grinding rivets into your rotors.

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had the ceramics on for less than a year. It was one of the first things I checked when I bought the truck. Im definitely not a brake expert just goin by what what I was told