Can You Pump Up Your Brake Pedal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
On my 2023 6.4 I've noticed the brake pedal is not as positive as my other vehicles. I can pump the pedal once and get a better/harder/higher pedal which feels more normal. Are these new trucks and ABS doing this or do I have air in the lines. That is what it feels like. Pressing hard on the pedal will bring the truck down nicely but there is always that uncertain feeling that I may not have all the brake performance I should have. Anyone else notice this on their 2500, 4x4 with a Hemi? I will be towing a trailer soon and need all I can get from the brakes. It will go into the dealer soon for a recall and I can have them check it out but sure would be nice to know if it's normal, which is likely what they will tell me.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
when you go in for your recall ,stroll over to sales and take a couple trucks for test drives . Then you have something to compare to, and for them to drive and experience the same thing as you. If it’s the same. Sounds like air to me.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is air, it should not feel stronger in the second press. I have a 5.7 but I have borrowed a buddies 6.4 2500 before and driven a few of them. That doesn’t sound normal.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If the feel of the pedal changes by pumping it once, something is wrong. Get it to a dealer ASAP.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I will be towing a trailer soon and need all I can get from the brakes.
If your planning for relying on the brakes that much while towing, you've already failed.
Yes you need reliable good working brakes on the tow vehicle but keep the useage down. Don't be afraid to use engine braking, unsure why people tend to freek out about letting an engine rev to do it's work properly.

Try a panic stop when no one is around, if you can get the ABS to kick in that will give you a better idea if the brakes are working to full potential.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If your planning for relying on the brakes that much while towing, you've already failed.
Yes you need reliable good working brakes on the tow vehicle but keep the useage down. Don't be afraid to use engine braking, unsure why people tend to freek out about letting an engine rev to do it's work properly.

Try a panic stop when no one is around, if you can get the ABS to kick in that will give you a better idea if the brakes are working to full potential.
I agree, but I was sure glad to have properly working brakes when I lost trailer brakes coming out of the mountains in CO last year.

To OP, I did notice the brake pedal in my 2500 is much softer and has a bit more play than the 1500 I had.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my 2023 6.4 I've noticed the brake pedal is not as positive as my other vehicles. I can pump the pedal once and get a better/harder/higher pedal which feels more normal. Are these new trucks and ABS doing this or do I have air in the lines. That is what it feels like. Pressing hard on the pedal will bring the truck down nicely but there is always that uncertain feeling that I may not have all the brake performance I should have. Anyone else notice this on their 2500, 4x4 with a Hemi? I will be towing a trailer soon and need all I can get from the brakes. It will go into the dealer soon for a recall and I can have them check it out but sure would be nice to know if it's normal, which is likely what they will tell me.
I'd suspect the first thing you should have done is a brake inspection where the wheels are removed and the calipers removed. Look for one of the caliper slide pins seized in the caliper bracket.
I've seen folks replace the power brake booster and the master cylinder and still have that EXACT symptom and bring it to me, and I fix it by simply freeing up the slide pins and lubricating all of them.

This isn't a diagnosis, but an inexpensive way for you to eliminate the cheap items first.
you may need to merely run the truck backwards in reverse up to about 15-20 mph and slam the brakes on to engage ABS. This will bleed air from the ABS valves and force the air up through the master cylinder. You have no idea how many times I've solved the exact thing you describe by doing this.

ABS hydraulic units should be exercised occasionally to prevent air build up in them. I do it to my cars a couple of times a year. It gets me crazy looks from the neighbors, but, hey!, it works.

I hope tis helps! Peace! :)

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Good ideas and thanks for the suggestions. I have very few, if any, straightaways in my mountain area to safely do the back up at 15-20 thing. Might be able to go the fairgrounds and do that. Have one other spot in mind too. That said, this being a new vehicle I would doubt caliper pins are seized or seizing. The truck did sit on the lot for a few months before I bought it and no miles put on it so I suppose that could have caused a rust issue. I will be going to the dealer soon to do the first oil change and a recall. Will mention it top them and if I am blown off with the "they all do that" comment I will do as suggested here. That's if the reverse slam does not work. Sure seems like air in the lines to me.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
One should (in my opinion only) be doing an annual brake service.

Best time to do this is in late spring to early summer as all the crud from the winter has been built up in your calipers (sand, salt, road brine, etc.).

If one has any pulsation when braking, then this is a great time to replace, or, at the very least turn rotors and service the pads if there is enough material available to safely do this and not compromise specs for minimum tolerances.

A proper brake service will have the caliper slider pins removed and serviced (wire wheeled so they are smooth and clean), lots of lube put in and the sliders actioned to move freely.

Caliper clips also taken off and cleaned (wire wheeled, or outright replace if they are crudded right up).

Pads blocked and deglazed (if they are at 4mm or lower, perhaps time to replace).

Rotors looked at and perhaps the lips cleaned up from any raised edges.

IMPO - the two main factors in ensuring ones own safety are brakes and tires, period!

Don't ever skimp out on either ;)

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
you may need to merely run the truck backwards in reverse up to about 15-20 mph and slam the brakes on to engage ABS.
ABS works in both directions, not sure what going backwards has anything to do with it. They're disk brakes so going backwards doesn't change anything mechanically.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was wondering about that, but at one time that would help for the auto adjuster reset themselves , not sure on the parking brake on these trucks, but that is different system.
I notice on mine , if it sits in the garage for a few days , the brake pedal will be real hard, till the motor starts , then it is fine. I am thinking that is the booster sitting too long with no vac.
If I use it more often, it doesn't happen, check valve leaking I think.

BTW in Canada , in winter the ABS gets used a fair bit, On the Honda ,it gets a great work out, on my truck, I don't notice it that much.

Last edited:

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 REBEL
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Coming from a 2019 Rebel 1500 to a 2022 Bighorn 2500 , the brakes feel a little softer and take longer to slow down truck than my 1500. My wife’s truck is a 2023 1500 Bighorn and get the same feeling, softer pedal , longer stopping distance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357