Cam swap costs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tiny home contractor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 big horn 1500 5.7 hemi
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone,
I have a 2008 ram hemi. It has over the last few months developed the hemi miss. No codes. But stutters all the time. I figure that it may be a scored lifter since that seems to be pretty close to what the symptoms are. So, I am an old mechanic and am going to be doing the work myself.
Many questions regarding the cost. Since, I'll be in there anyways, I want to upgrade. What are your guys costs (completely stock) to upgrade cam and such. Knowing if I run a cam I will be running a programmer. Looking to do full exhaust too!
I drive a ton of miles. Put, 60k on in less than two years. I need reliability, and yet want to have fun. Since this truck will be with me for a long time. I do a ton of highway driving. So, keeping that in mind for a programmer. That way I can run a fuel efficient tune when on the highway.
thanks guys.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I've looked into a cam swap, haven't done it yet but prices I've seen will run ball park to this
A comp cam is around 400
Superchips or a diablo intune is around $350, my trinity tuner was $500
You might have to upgrade valve springs and pushrods, that's another $400. That's just the basic stuff.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can sometimes find a deal on the classifieds on forums but as our trucks get older the parts are harder to find. I bought a comp 260 cam an oem 6.1 rods an springs over 4years ago from a guy all of it was brand new in the box an I only paid 300.