DIY throttle body porting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Well since I'm a poor cheap ******* and handy with diy projects, anyone have info on porting your own throttle body to 87mm? From my understanding a moes performance one is just stock that's machined out? I don't know much about throttle body's, so any help is appreciated! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
I am also interested in this. Did you ever do it yourself? What all did you do, i've watched some DIY on YouTube and doesn't look to hard. Notice any difference?

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I am also interested in this. Did you ever do it yourself? What all did you do, i've watched some DIY on YouTube and doesn't look to hard. Notice any difference?

No I never ended up doing it. Lots of other engine mods, but not the throttle body haha

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I would assume that it need to be put on a lathe and then be dipped and polished. Would need to find a decent machine shop.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All this time creeping my local lkq listings for 3rd gens for misc. **** an never once did I think of getting a tb

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
I would assume that it need to be put on a lathe and then be dipped and polished. Would need to find a decent machine shop.
I viewed a YouTube video where someone just used a dremel because the throttle body on the 4.7l has a lip that needs shaved down. The guy used it to basically bore it out and then attached some type of sand paper and just that to polish it.
Here is another DIY TB
http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/256162-throttle-body-port-polish.html
Be nice to hear from some one on this forum about doing it.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Well since I'm a poor cheap ******* and handy with diy projects, anyone have info on porting your own throttle body to 87mm? From my understanding a moes performance one is just stock that's machined out? I don't know much about throttle body's, so any help is appreciated! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xxxx
Moe's TBs are not uniformly enlarged.
They are C&C machined so that as your throttle position approaches WOT, the diameter progressively increases over stock until reaching 87mm. If you were to uniformly enlarge your TB from the 80mm stock diameter, your idle would be a messed up and you would need customized tuning.

With a professionally ported TB, at idle you have a stock TB, and it looks and acts stock when the an FCA tech puts it on the analyzer.

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
xxxx
Moe's TBs are not uniformly enlarged.
They are C&C machined so that as your throttle position approaches WOT, the diameter progressively increases over stock until reaching 87mm. If you were to uniformly enlarge your TB from the 80mm stock diameter, your idle would be a messed up and you would need customized tuning.

With a professionally ported TB, at idle you have a stock TB, and it looks and acts stock when the an FCA tech puts it on the analyzer.

Good info. But in my situation, I already have custom tuning, and no FCA tech will be within a country mile of my truck. Maybe one day I’ll grab a junkyard throttle body and play with it just to see what happens

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
xxxx
your idle would be a messed up and you would need customized tuning.

Would a Superchip Flashpaq be able to tune the Ported Throttle Body?
I has settings to adjust what the idle is set to or can be put on stock

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Would a Superchip Flashpaq be able to tune the Ported Throttle Body?
I has settings to adjust what the idle is set to or can be put on stock
A TB that has been ported to retain stock diameter at idle does not need tuning. That's what makes them a good modification.

A Rube Goldberg homemade ported TB would screw the idle and need custom tuning--same as some of the single diameter 85 and 87mm or larger racing TBs. The deviation from stock idle diameter necessitates tuning.

WhiTri24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've ported TB's for years. Mostly Fords, some Chevy and now my 2015 Ram. I've also port and polished Superchargers, intake plenums and such.

If you're new to it, definitely get something to practice with.

I use an die grinder. The electric 1/4 die grinder from harbor freight does really well. If you have an air tank, a pneumatic one works great too. Then I use several flapper wheels from 40, 60, and 80 grit. The 2" x 1 1/4" work good. After that I use a Dremel with a 120 flapper and then finish it off with some 400 grit polishing/buffing wheels.

If you want to keep the stock idling and no issues, you have to go the venturi route. And it's the same as most of these other vendors do. If you want something all the way through, you have to upgrade the throttle plate/blade.

For most, if you look in your TB, you'll se a hump or a step up. That's what I shave down so it matches the inlet start of the TB. The 40 grit will knock it down pretty quick. BUT, so that you don't interfere with the idle quality, I mark (thin tip permanent marker) the location the blade rests at. That's the area that I don't touch with the 40, 60 or 80 grit. Cause once you do, could have issues or need to step up the blade size.

Once I get that hump down with the 40 grit, I move to the 60 grit to help smooth out what the 40 grit left. I'll also hit the back side of the TB. with this, I put a think black line around the opening so that I know how much to grind out. once that black ring is gone, i'm done. But do that same on the back side and don't touch the area where the blade sits. Once those are done, I step up to the 80 grit. Once that's smooth, now it's Dremel time with the 120 grit. Now...the 120 takes a lot longer to eat up aluminum but please know that if you leave it there too long, it'll eat it. So becareful. With the 120, I will go over the areas where the blade sits but very little and fast. The majority of the time is smoothing out the 80 grit from the majority of what I ported.

Once that feels super smooth, I move onto the 400 grit buffer wheel, still with the dremel. Now with this, I use a in and out motion and will go over the area where the blade sits too. This is to make it smooth as glass. Since these wear out quickly, I usually use 5-6 of them or until i'm satisfied on how smooth it feels.

But, as I said, buy a used one off ebay or junk yard to practice. The 40 grit flapper won't eat it out so fast that you have a hole or anything but you don't want to eat out a section that has a bit divot now. The aluminum bits I use for a superchargers or such, now those can eat through aluminum like a hot knife through butter. Those...you don't use on TB's.

But for less than $80-100 bucks, you can have everything you need to port TB's for all your vehicles or future vehicles.