emissions.......booo!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Took it down to get it emission tested today and the scanners say its "not ready" and I need to do a drive cycle before it can retested. What is the drive cycle? This needs to be done by next week.....

Im thinking its due to the fact that I don't drive it that much. I think I've put about 200 miles on it this last year.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
It needs to be driven like 50 miles for the scanners to be ready. So just take it on a highway loop. Lol. Mine did the same thing. Have you reset it recently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Nope just haven't driven it in a month.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Yeah. Then just drive it a little and take it back. Should work.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From another site...

The Drive Cycle and Emissions Readiness Monitors are methods used by the powertrain control module (PCM) to determine whether an emissions system repair was properly performed. A Drive Cycle is a special test drive that duplicates the scenario of a person starting her car and making a short freeway trip, as if she were driving to work. While the Drive Cycle test is going, the engine computer runs little tests or "readiness monitors" to see if the emissions system is working properly

When a vehicle has an emissions system problem, it almost always triggers a Check Engine or Service Engine Soon Light. This signals that an emission system problem and fault code has been recorded in the powertrain control module (PCM). The problem indicated by the fault code must now be accurately diagnosed and repaired.

After the proper repair has been completed and the fault code cleared, the PCM will run a series of self-tests to determine whether or not the repair actually corrected the problem and if the various emissions systems are running properly. If they are, they can now properly minimize the emissions released into the atmosphere from the vehicle's operation.

This process was designed to prevent a vehicle from slipping through an emissions test with a known problem. Until 1996, a common tactic was to turn off the Check Engine Light by clearing the code just before an emissions test, without performing the proper repair. The Drive Cycle and Emissions Readiness Monitors have, for the most part, stopped this unethical tactic.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
More:

A Drive Cycle replicates the conditions of a person going out and driving his vehicle after it has been sitting overnight. First, he cold starts his engine and it warms up a bit while he is buckling his seat belt, selecting the radio station or CD he wants and adjusting the volume, and letting the windows defrost a little. The car is then driven through stop and go scenarios through city streets at speeds of 25 to 35 mph. Then, the car enters the freeway and accelerates briskly at half throttle or more to match the speed of the other drivers as the they enter the flow of the freeway traffic. Then the vehicle is driven at a steady, conservative speed of between 55 and 60 mph for at least four to five miles.

After this, the vehicle pulls off the freeway and is driven a bit more in city driving conditions before pulling into a parking place where the engine idles for 20 to 30 seconds before being turned off. On many vehicles, one of these Drive Cycles is sufficient enough to set all or most of the Readiness Monitors. Other vehicles require that this entire process be repeated on two or more successive days.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Good info... that being said a Dodge tech I called said it should take a few of these cycles before it will read correctly. So so far I've heard run it 5-500 miles or 1-10 days worth of driving.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Hmm. That's odd. I reset my computer and immediately took it to get inspected, and got told it wasn't ready, went up and down the highway maybe 30-50 miles, and took it back the same day, good to go.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Well I'm going to take it up north tomorrow, then drive it to work Monday and see if that does it. What a pita.

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
i love living in a rural area, in my part of missouri we dont have emissions testing!

Good luck!!

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
All we do here is just an obdII read which was fine last time around.

RompinRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
It's not up to 500 miles. We've had to do them at my buddies shop. You just have to go through all of the scenarios. Do you know anybody with a scan tool? Our scanner tells us whenever we complete each scenario.

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
When you crank the key to the ACC position and your MIL blinks a few times and then fully illuminates steady it means your OBD monitors are in a readiness sate. If it continues to blink then its a indication that its not ready.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I will have to go try that.

Took it to work today, about a 60mile round trip drive. Freeway for 50 of them. Brought it down and it still failed. So the 30-50 mile drive isnot gonna do it. Now I have contact ADEQ to see what hoops I have to jump through to get retested. This ******* blows.

ArmRippinToys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 1989
Engine
Thats why I love living where I do. The biggest city (where I happen to live, Anchorage) was the only place that had emission testing, then this last winter I think I was like in February the finally got it passed to get rid of emissions in this city... So no emissions any where in AK

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You said that it was o2 and egr not ready. You have EGR and it's not deleted. If it's faulty will it show not ready? What if I delete the EGR? I think 1/2 the folks out there have deleted their EGR and it passes emissions. I wonder if deleting that system will do it?

Is ur truck getting up to temp? Sometimes it'll not go into readiness if the temp isn't high enough