Fuel and power issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adam98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
TLDR: I have bad fuel economy and the engine feels sluggish at low RPM, is it the injectors, fuel pump, fuel filter, throttle body, some combination of that, or something else?

I got a 2003 1/2 tonne with the Hemi a few weeks ago and I have noticed (according to the onboard sensors) that it is getting between 6-9mpg in the city. On the highway it isnt bad, getting around 15-16mpg most of the time, but it seems like it is quite low even for a truck of this age. I thought I was dragging the parking brake when I got it because it was constantly howling and felt sluggish at low RPM, but it turns out that the parking brake simply doesnt exist and it is a wheel bearing or something that is howling. Im currently thinking it might be injector problems, which I think would explain the power issues as well. Also, what I think is the fuel pump is very loud, it can be heard inside the cab while driving. The last possibility is the throttle body, which feeling odd and a bit slow (I know its electronic and that could have something to do with it), that being said, I have never driven one of these trucks in good condition. I dont think the throttle body would affect fuel economy that much, but would possibly be affecting power.

OP
OP
A

adam98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also it occasionally throws a bad fuel level sensor code, but not consistently