Full rebuild - buy a kit, or buy individual parts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sean.b

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought this truck ('04 with a 4.7) with over 200k on the odometer, added another 20k, and the thermostat stuck while a neighbor was borrowing it. Brought it back sounding like a slung bearing. No signs of a head gasket blown - not externally at least. No smoke/smell in exhaust, etc, but it wont start at all now, either.

So, I figure instead of fixing one or two problems on a 200k engine, I'm just going to rebuild it. Not a novice at this, just never touched a Ram. I wouldnt even know the name brands to look for..

That back story that I feel is necessary to avoid the "omgerd dont touch it" responses leads me to the simple question: should I order a rebuild kit from rock auto, or are there other names/sources that I should simply piece together every bearing and gasket from?

Thanks Dodge people ;)

OP
OP
S

sean.b

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd find myself a junkyard Hemi and have computer reflashed if I were you.

I was humoring that, a diesel swap, or even an LS swap, but in the interest of time I figured I'd just rebuild this one over a weekend. I'm a consultant that's usually flying M-F, so I only have weekends to squeeze in family time, rest, friends, my dog, etc. Dropping a swap project in there usually means it takes me 6+ months.

With regards to a hemi swap, am I looking at a headache with the harness, sensors, gauges, etc? I'm sure it's been discussed to the point of bleeding in these forums, but being as you threw it out as though it's a cake walk, I'll still ask.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wont start as in wont turn over? Or will turn over but not fire up?

If the truck sat for any amount of time, coolant could have leaked into a cylinder and now your engine won't turn over due to the coolant in the cylinder.

OP
OP
S

sean.b

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wont start as in wont turn over? Or will turn over but not fire up?

If the truck sat for any amount of time, coolant could have leaked into a cylinder and now your engine won't turn over due to the coolant in the cylinder.

it'll turn over, wont start. if i give it gas like a carb, it'll roll over and sounds reasonably horrifying. so im going to tear it down. not scared of a rebuild, and with 200k miles, i had already planned on one, anyway. i dont want to be towing a car 5 hours from home and have it break down, anyway.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Having owned Dodge trucks all my life I've always felt more comfortable installing something that said Mopar on it. On my rebuild the head gaskets and oil pump were Mopar but just about everything else was aftermarket. Buying a rebuild kit would be cheaper and easier and since they really don't make a lot of high performance parts for the 4.7L I don't think you would be missing out performance wise by just ordering the kit. I guess if it were me I would price it out both ways and if ordering Mopar parts separately was not a lot more I would go that route.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Became knowledgeable on the 4.7 the hard way. Long torturous affair.
It really does not pay in the long run to do a junkyard motor or anything other than a full dip rebiild.
An upgraded quality rebuild can be had for between 2500/3k.
Powertrain Products, Jasper, etc, all make good rebuilds with nice warranty.
The upgrades usually include drilled out oil passages, better gaskets, better valves, chain tensioners, etc...all improvements over the factory flaws.
Still nothing ground breaking available performance wise.
HO cams or grinds and some bolt on stuff with a tune.
They're good motors when cared for and even better with flaw upgrades.

Upgrading to a Hemi is time, money, and more money.
Best way to do a Hemi swap is with a complete donor vehicle.
Or just buy something already Hemi equipped.
If you love your truck and not a performance junky, install a quality rebuild.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Became knowledgeable on the 4.7 the hard way. Long torturous affair.
It really does not pay in the long run to do a junkyard motor or anything other than a full dip rebiild.
An upgraded quality rebuild can be had for between 2500/3k.
Powertrain Products, Jasper, etc, all make good rebuilds with nice warranty.
The upgrades usually include drilled out oil passages, better gaskets, better valves, chain tensioners, etc...all improvements over the factory flaws.
Still nothing ground breaking available performance wise.
HO cams or grinds and some bolt on stuff with a tune.
They're good motors when cared for and even better with flaw upgrades.

Upgrading to a Hemi is time, money, and more money.
Best way to do a Hemi swap is with a complete donor vehicle.
Or just buy something already Hemi equipped.
If you love your truck and not a performance junky, install a quality rebuild.

Went through the same thing. This guy just hit it on the head perfectly

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not as many as the blown trans club lol.

Cliffords Rig

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 1500
Engine
4.7 V8 Rebuilt
How do I know what type of 4.7 I have? It offers 2 types that fit my 2003 Ram 1500

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
How do I know what type of 4.7 I have? It offers 2 types that fit my 2003 Ram 1500
What, the Accurate Engines link above? The first 4.7 is described as being the standard replacement engine. $1,995.00+$400.00 core/up to MY 2004. However, at the bottom of the standard 4.7 page, they show $300.00 core+$389.00 shipping.

The second 4.7 is their "performance" model. IDK what's so special, because it reads like a proper rebuild. They do say the block is bored, but with such modest upgrades like reconditioned heads and rods, I'll bet it is just a little better than a hone. Notably, they don't list a price.

So, if you want something like what you had, pick option 1. If you want a probably imperceptible HP/TQ gain and a few more CID, pick option 2.