How many Transmission Modules?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blade69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
05 2500 SLT QC 5.7 4x4 auto

I'm having an issue with my truck that I've read on this forum that others were having. It's the late shifting, or barely shifting issue.

Most times it drives fine. At some point, it seems like it's stuck in a higher gear and won't kick down. Typical cruising down the street at about 40 mph and the revs are at about 2000. Then with no warning, taking off from a stop, I press on the gas, the engine revs up, but it barely wants to move. Eventuality it will get going, but it mimics a bad transmission. I pull over, turn it off, and back on, then it takes off like a banshee. Which leads me to believe it's an electrical issue.

I replaced the ECM (in the engine compartment on the firewall, passenger side) I thought it was fixed. But on the way home it started doing it again. So, as the title asks, are there any other modules that control the trans?

Thanks

Oh, yes my check engine light came on. I don't recall the exact code, but the mechanic said it was the module.

OP
OP
B

Blade69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE: I went and got the codes.

P0700 - Automatic transmission control system malfunction

P2706 - A/T MAKE solenoid circuit malfunction

Since I replaced the PCM/ECM and that didn't fix the issue, we can probably discount P0700???

But the P2706, does that mean I need to replace the solenoid inside the trans? Or is there a module outside the trans that needs to be replaced?

OP
OP
B

Blade69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope that should mean the solenoid pack inside needs replaced.

I was afraid someone would say "inside" the trans. Ah well. As long as the problem gets fixed, I'm ok. Is that the actual name of the part? Since I'm going into the trans, is there anything else I should get replaced while it's opened up?

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
P0700 is just a generic transmission code basically letting you know something's not right. The second code is the one that matters. But anyway when my solenoid pack went I just replaced the pack and put a new filter and acted like it was another transmission service. I don't think there's much else you can mess with without pulling the transmission.

OP
OP
B

Blade69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. The solenoid packs don't seem to be expensive at all. Cheaper than the PCM I bought/returned. I know filters don't cost much at all. Gasket and fluid. If I buy everything, I'm sure my guy won't charge me any more than $200 to install it. I'd do it myself except my truck won't fit in my garage and the weather here is bipolar. Lol

OP
OP
B

Blade69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shopping around now. Would anyone by chance know if I have a black or white plug? Other than pulling the pan, what info could I give you to determine?

OP
OP
B

Blade69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an update. I got the solenoid pack changed and that seems to have corrected the problem. However, now it seems I have another problem. On first startup in the morning, I have to sit for a couple of minutes before I pull off. If I put it in drive too soon, it won't go into gear right away. I step on the gas, engines revs, I back off, then it pops into gear.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Verify that the fluid levels are correct in the trans. That's my first thought.