Limp mode, erratic idle, TPS??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OilCityOperator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys got a question someone might be able to answer for me..

Lately when I start my truck about 5% of the time it will go into limp mode and I will have to restart and immediatly give er a good shot on the throttle and it seems to run normal (no limp mode light)

Also it is idleing funny, not rough but more sporadic..

ive read about the TPS but I'm not sure if that's what it is..I put a CAI on about a week ago and im pretty sure my throttle body don't even got and sensors on it?

this was all happening b4 the Cai

any help would be cool, thnx guys

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I would try cleaning off your throttle body if you didnt already do this while installing the new intake.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
The 03 is worse, I get limpe mode without codes every once in a while but since xmas even at -37 up in Manitoba its been better, why, well I believe in my case it is related to dirty injectors which also throws multiple misfire, iat, mass sensor and 02 upstream codes. Well Canadian Tire now carrys the American Made Sea foam and I ran two full tanks of fuel thru with a two can application, $13 each. Since then zero codes and only one limpe mode coming outta Swift Current as I was cockroaching onto the Hwy behind a double Bison Trailered Semi. Now that my dirty injector theory is looking good I plan to have Fountaine Tire do a proffessional cleaning by hooking into the fuel rails and it should be good for another 100k. Cost of $125 IMO is worth it. After 200 K kilometers I started having on and off issues and am now at 265. Now if you had an 03 I would say change the TB as there was a TSB on them.

Last edited:

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would try cleaning off your throttle body if you didnt already do this while installing the new intake.

Can't find your Like Button as your Sig is Huge...My post was long enough! LoL

OP
OP
OilCityOperator

OilCityOperator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hey thnx for the quick replies

Moe I did take a look in the TB it seemed ok not too dirty but I was in a rush that day so I never took time to clean er' I guess thats up next weekend..

And danny mine also started doing this when its been super cold in AB,does urs also idle erraticly sometimes? what i get from you is you think it may be the injectors correct? I dont really know what this sea foam stuff is, i presume you run it through with ur fuel and its supposed to clean em?

hmm maybe its just time for a aftermarket TB lol

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep add it to a full tank. My ported TB hates the Cold, anything after -20. Clean the injectors, and yes mine stumbles but only for the first few minutes till the oil gets going, it helps if she is plugged in and I do not hammer the truck until i drive 2-3 clicks till the revs go down and OD kicks in then I know its warm enough, if not I get limpe mode with a couple tranny codes if i go too hard onto the HWY. I have seen it take up to 5-6 mikes before the tranny allows the revs to go down on those Wind Chill Days and with 456's your talking 3k RPM at the speedlimit (110) which causes a huge cloud of white Frosty Smoke going down the road...ha....ha. Keep us posted. Danny.

Ps. I am a bad speller using this fnnn tablet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OilCityOperator

OilCityOperator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right on, I'll clean the TB and also look into gettin a couple cans of that sea foam.

Thnx boys

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The TB can be deceiving as well. Many times the front of blade doesnt look bad, but the back side is covered in gunk. I would try that as well as the seafoam before spending any money on replacement parts.