P0344 limp mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This may be a bit long-winded, but this is where I'm at so far:
-2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, 2wd, 5.7, 8 spd ZF, 113,700 miles
*I have zero info regarding the maintenance history, unfortunately*

When I bought the truck, it ticked when cold. The tick went away when it warmed up. I read through the forums and diagnosed an exhaust leak. Eventually, before I fixed it the tick stopped going away when the truck warmed up.
I included a pic of the driver's side where it was leaking, but the passenger side was also leaking with a snapped off stud.
after replacing both manifolds with new gaskets and hardware I started it on the jack stands and let it warm up. Noise was gone. I let it cool down a little, re-checked bolt torque, and then buttoned everything back up. When I drove it, as soon as I gave it some gas it made this awful noise:
Naturally, I assumed that I did a bad job of sealing the manifolds and that as soon as I put my foot down it made one of them start leaking, but I didn't feel like ripping it all back apart.
The next weekend I put it back on jacks and re-checked the bolt torque again. (I only have a 1.5 mile drive to work at 35mph)
Same thing as before: Everything sounded great, buttoned it back up, went to drive it and the noise is back. Now my assumption is that something in the fender liner, or dipstick tube, or SOMETHING external on the motor is vibrating. No codes being thrown at this point.
*sorry this is a ling story, but idk which details might be important here*
A few days later I am driving to go fishing and the check eng light and traction control lights both suddenly come on as I'm approaching a red light. Foot off the gas, but not applying brakes yet. The truck is in limp mode, but luckily I'm not far from my spot.
After fishing the CEL was still on, but no traction control light and the truck was no longer in limp mode.
after a couple of days of driving normally the CEL turned itself off.
(checked the code and got the P0344 camshaft position sensor intermittent)
That lasted for about a week during which the awful noise it was making stopped happening.
Yesterday, it went back into limp mode again with both lights. I shut it down and started it back up and still had a CEL but not in limp mode anymore.
During the drive home I got a #3 missfire code.
I watched a video on youtube during which a mechanic used a picoscope to trace a P0344 code to a bad coil.
I swapped the #3 and #1 coils, cleared codes, unplugged batt for a couple of hours. Drove a few laps around the block and codes were gone.
This morning the limp mode + dual lights happened again leaving my driveway.
I shut it down, and started it back up and it was no longer in limp mode. No missfires on the way to work this morning. I will be replacing all 16 plugs as soon as I get a chance, since I'm willing to bet they are the factory originals with 113K miles on them. I am curious to see if it missfires again if it will be #1 this time. And if a bad coil really can interfere with the cam position sensor signal.
IDK...... what do y'all think? Did I mess skmething up while doing the manifolds and cause all of this extra stuff?
I've only had this truck for about 2 months, it is my first Ram and I am about OVER it already

*ANY input would be greatly appreciated*

Attachments

• 64D0E09E-82D6-485A-A252-19E7E2F15127.jpeg
    64D0E09E-82D6-485A-A252-19E7E2F15127.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 23

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

When I bought the truck, it ticked when cold. The tick went away when it warmed up. I read through the forums and diagnosed an exhaust leak. Eventually, before I fixed it the tick stopped going away when the truck warmed up.
I included a pic of the driver's side where it was leaking, but the passenger side was also leaking with a snapped off stud.
after replacing both manifolds with new gaskets and hardware I started it on the jack stands and let it warm up. Noise was gone. I let it cool down a little, re-checked bolt torque, and then buttoned everything back up. When I drove it, as soon as I gave it some gas it made this awful noise:
Naturally, I assumed that I did a bad job of sealing the manifolds and that as soon as I put my foot down it made one of them start leaking, but I didn't feel like ripping it all back apart.
The next weekend I put it back on jacks and re-checked the bolt torque again. (I only have a 1.5 mile drive to work at 35mph)
Same thing as before: Everything sounded great, buttoned it back up, went to drive it and the noise is back. Now my assumption is that something in the fender liner, or dipstick tube, or SOMETHING external on the motor is vibrating. No codes being thrown at this point.
A few days later I am driving to go fishing and the check eng light and traction control lights both suddenly come on as I'm approaching a red light. Foot off the gas, but not applying brakes yet. The truck is in limp mode, but luckily I'm not far from my spot.
After fishing the CEL was still on, but no traction control light and the truck was no longer in limp mode.
That lasted for about a week during which the awful noise it was making stopped happening.
Yesterday, it went back into limp mode again with both lights. I shut it down and started it back up and still had a CEL but not in limp mode anymore.
I watched a video on youtube during which a mechanic used a picoscope to trace a P0344 code to a bad coil.
I swapped the #3 and #1 coils, cleared codes, unplugged batt for a couple of hours. Drove a few laps around the block and codes were gone.
I shut it down, and started it back up and it was no longer in limp mode. No missfires on the way to work this morning. I will be replacing all 16 plugs as soon as I get a chance, since I'm willing to bet they are the factory originals with 113K miles on them. I am curious to see if it missfires again if it will be #1 this time. And if a bad coil really can interfere with the cam position sensor signal.
IDK...... what do y'all think? Did I mess skmething up while doing the manifolds and cause all of this extra stuff?
I've only had this truck for about 2 months, it is my first Ram and I am about OVER it already

For $h!ts and giggles do a compression test before going to much farther.If you have a bad cam/lifter it'll usually show up when doing a compression test.If 1 or 2 cylinders are down in comparision to the other ones,then it's time to pull the valve covers and check to make sure all the rockers are moving the same amount.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

If the coil was bad, it was caused by the spark plug(s). Period. Your mistake was replacing the coil and not the plugs for that coil. If you have good all around fuel trim in the single digits of correction, the problem is usually not fuel related. The P0344 has been set on many vehicles I've worked on, due to a coil/ plug issue. This is what is referred to as a "phantom" code caused by secondary bleed over into the wiring.

OP
OP
Gator Whiskers
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the coil was bad, it was caused by the spark plug(s). Period. Your mistake was replacing the coil and not the plugs for that coil. If you have good all around fuel trim in the single digits of correction, the problem is usually not fuel related. The P0344 has been set on many vehicles I've worked on, due to a coil/ plug issue. This is what is referred to as a "phantom" code caused by secondary bleed over into the wiring.
I just swapped the #3 with the #1 to see if the problem would follow. I also just bought 16 new plugs after work today, and will be installing them at the first opportunity

OP
OP
Gator Whiskers
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: I got a misfire on the way home during medium accelleration, and it stayed with #3.....
So either the plugs are toast, or it's a trashed cam
A buddy at work is bring his compression tester tomorrow for me to borrow <-Hey! That rhymes!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

Potential causes for this code to set are:
Defective knock sensor/s
Internal engine malfunction
Ignition misfire/s
Contaminated or substandard fuel
Defective knock sensor control wiring and/or connectors
Bad PCM or a PCM programing error

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0334
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

a different site reads
  • P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent

OP
OP
Gator Whiskers
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Potential causes for this code to set are:
Defective knock sensor/s
Internal engine malfunction
Ignition misfire/s
Contaminated or substandard fuel
Defective knock sensor control wiring and/or connectors
Bad PCM or a PCM programing error

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0334
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

a different site reads
  • P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent
You have two different codes here

OP
OP
Gator Whiskers
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is what the freez frame capture data says the eng was doing during the miss.... I apologize for the camera work, I was holding my daughter and phone, and struggling to see the screen in the sunlight

PowersOf12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My misfire #8 was bad lifter and cam lobe confirmed by dodge last week. The tick went from intermittent to a tick and a chirp to a louder tick to a tick that never went away to a check engine light over 4000 miles (and two different oil changes chasing the sound). When the misfire code was on, the truck would no longer go into 4 cylinder mode (maybe this is limp mode). Just an FYI (I am spreading my knowledge because my neighbors 2013 did similar and I know every single mile put on my truck since I custom ordered it in 2012.

OP
OP
Gator Whiskers
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE: I finally got some time today to play in the garage. I pulled the Camshaft Position Sensor, and the tip of it was all fouled up by some kind of grey..... something.
Almost seems like it was moly grease?
B367DB3C-DA50-44C5-9881-30E0B409929B.jpeg
Any ideas?
F41C2516-4FED-4541-92DC-16E1EE991986.jpeg
I bought a $20 Standard brand one and put that in while I wait for the OEM one to get here from Mopar

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
UPDATE: I finally got some time today to play in the garage. I pulled the Camshaft Position Sensor, and the tip of it was all fouled up by some kind of grey..... something.
Almost seems like it was moly grease?
View attachment 523822
Any ideas?
View attachment 523823
I bought a $20 Standard brand one and put that in while I wait for the OEM one to get here from Mopar
Anytime i've ever ran into gray sludge that looks like that,somethings usually starting to go south inside the engine. In a hemi it's usually an indicator the cam and lifters are starting to go south. Just my 02,but i wouldn't be surprised if you start to have cam issues in another few thousand miles.

OP
OP
Gator Whiskers
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anytime i've ever ran into gray sludge that looks like that,somethings usually starting to go south inside the engine. In a hemi it's usually an indicator the cam and lifters are starting to go south. Just my 02,but i wouldn't be surprised if you start to have cam issues in another few thousand miles.
Awesome. lol

OP
OP
Gator Whiskers
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE:
I put replaced the cam/crank position sensors with OEM ones and that seems to have cured the P0344/limp mode issue.
Replaced all of the spark plugs with the NGK ones that are the OEM recomended plugs and did a compression test on 1,3,5,7 while changing them.
1: 145
3: 125
5: 135
7: 130 (these are averages of 3 checks each)
#3 still misses under load usually around 2,200 rpm depending on how hard I'm stepping on it.
I can't tear into it more than that because my garage door won't close with the truck pulled in..... so......
it's going to the dodge place this Friday and let them mess with it.
I'll do a new post with what they find.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: I got a misfire on the way home during medium accelleration, and it stayed with #3.....
So either the plugs are toast, or it's a trashed cam
A buddy at work is bring his compression tester tomorrow for me to borrow <-Hey! That rhymes!
You're a poet! ;)

Kettenhund

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gator, did you get this resolved? I am fighting a similar battle with a Gen 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank