Oil on crank sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boolinhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I got a replacement sensor and installed it after my truck had sputtering and stalling out with codes calling for the crank sensor. When I pulled out the old one, it had oil on it. I imagine this is why there was no signal from the crank sensor. I wiped it off, and installed the new one. Problem fixed for a few days. Then today I get the same problem and start stalling out and sputtering, but no code yet. Tried to restart it and it took a long time to crank so I knew that it was the crank sensor. Why is there oil on the sensor? I understand it's next to the crankshaft but shouldn't there be something stopping the sensor from getting oil all over it?

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
It's normal for there to be oil on the end of the crank sensor because it sits inside the crank case. It's never happened to me but I've read a bad camshaft sensor can cause a crankshaft code and vice versa.

OP
OP
B

boolinhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When I pull out the crank sensor it's covered in oil. I wipe it off and it'll drive for a couple times. Then it will start acting up and I'll have to get back under the truck remove it and wipe it off. I used to be able to run it for a few days safer wiping it off now it's just a few starts, and getting lower. I don't understand what would cause this

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Spray it with PAM. That way the oil won't stick to it. You have a bad seal in your engine that is letting oil flow and splash around inside your crankcase. You need to see the dealership right away. Tell them your splash shield has dropped and the seal between it and the capacitor ring has broken and it needs replacement and readjustment. Takes about thirty minutes with the correct tool. While in there, have them check your encabulator. Some people have a turbo on theres.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
You could have a broken/corroded wire inside the harness. If it you can get it to stay running try moving the harness around to see if the quality of the idle changes. This happened to me on a Jeep Cherokee. We replaced a lot of parts before the mechanic figured out it was a bad wire.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It the crank sensor really isn't working, the oil on it is not the problem. There is no way you are going to prevent that. It is likely a Lois connection. Check the female terminals in the connector and make sure they are tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
my truck was doing the same thing today. replaced the camshaft sensor and it fixed my problem hope this helps

OP
OP
B

boolinhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have replaced the sensor and it works until oil gets on it. The oil is the only variable. The sensor/wiring wouldn't all the sudden start working when I wiped the oil off if it wasn't the oil. It's definitely the oil.

OP
OP
B

boolinhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Jimmy make sure to swap the blinker fluid in your superslow out with full synthetic

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is totally not the oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk