Dreaded crank no start on 97 Ram 1500 5.2 liter 4x4 automatic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

axelrodmotorhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 97 Ram 1500 4x4 with 5.2 liter and automatic. Truck started and ran fine but transmission was toast so I installed one. Went to start it up and now it’s crank with no start. Did some checking /testing but I can’t seem to find correct free schematic. My biggest ??? Is does terminal C3 in PCM send a ground signal to ASD relay ???? If so then terminal C3 should test showing a solid ground signal with the key on. Mine is showing 12V + and the ASD relay clicks but it acts like it’s back current. With relay out I have my batt + and my keyed + but the wire from ASD to PCM on term C3 is definitely testing 12V +. I have no power to coils or injection in this state. I did find shorted oxygen sensor wires that I think I must have made touch during my trans swap. But with all the sensors unplugged I still have the condition described above. My PCM grounds (2) tested good /had good 12V input to PCM and found (2) 5 V ref signal outputs testing good. Is my computer fried and should C3 test showing ground ?????

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
During your "checking and testing" did you happen to look at the fuse box to check for blow fuses? Possibly a pinched wire somewhere from the transmission swap

OP
OP
A

axelrodmotorhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Triple checked fuses /relays /harness / nothing pinched nothing blown. The 4 wire oxygen sensor did get scraped in exhaust head pipe and corner of trans during installation and bare wires touched so there was a 12v short there. Still trying to make sure terminal C3 at PCM function. Does it send a generated ground signal to ASD relay ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357