Rear Differential Grinding Noise On Take Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rambodood

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 Ram 4X4
Engine
5.2L
Rear Differential Grinding Noise On Take Off from a stand still. Sounds and feels like the brakes rubbing on a bad rotor, but not what it is. U joint has some play in it when I try turning it. When shifting from reverse to forward or vice versa I hear a clunk.

Obviously I need to repair the rear diff and the u joint. Any suggestions on what exactly it may be..

Secondly since I going to have the diffs open and replacing parts any upgrades or changes I should make to the diff? I dont haul anything so would like to possibly add some umph to my diff

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I'd unbolt the Ujoint and see if it is loose or rough. Is the pinion seal leaking? If so check for side play or roughness. Pull the cover and look for contamination both water and metal. If clean then pull the wheels and brakes and check the parking brakes. Any how that would be an approach that should tell you something...

OP
OP
R

rambodood

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 Ram 4X4
Engine
5.2L
The seal is leaking..

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Then with noise on acceleration that would I believe point at the rear pinion bearing. Open the cover and inspect the ring and pinion for damage. If they are still in good shape then install fresh bearings. I'd buy a Master install kit along with axle seals. If it is a open rear end then it is a good opportunity to install a LSD of your choosing.

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It could be rear pinion bearing as suggested, but I also had a u-join bad enough to beat the hell out of the pinion seal. When it first started going bad there was a slight vibration around 25-45 mph. after that is smoothed out. I didn't think much of it at the time, I just figured it was a wheel out of balance. Then it got bad, real bad real quick. So if I were you I'd change the u-joints and be done with it (if that's the problem).

Lugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same issue upon take off. Sounds like the rear brakes haven't fully released and I thought it was my calipers/pistons still cold/jammed up from sitting overnight. This sound typically only happens when I first move the truck for the day - a couple of squeels coming out of the driveway and then she is good for the rest of the day. Will be taking a look at the differential/u-joint very soon.

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also check the emergency brake shoes. I had the drivers side grenade itself. No more squeak. :)

RumbleBEEast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same issue upon take off. Sounds like the rear brakes haven't fully released and I thought it was my calipers/pistons still cold/jammed up from sitting overnight. This sound typically only happens when I first move the truck for the day - a couple of squeels coming out of the driveway and then she is good for the rest of the day. Will be taking a look at the differential/u-joint very soon.

did you ever fix your issue ? Mines doing exactly this .

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
He should put wheel chocks by the tires, so that it can't roll, put the truck in Neutral
Then check the drive shaft for slop, if the drive shaft moves over an inch, the u-joints may be bad

If the pinion seal is leaking, it may have been leaking long enough to lower the gear oil enough for the carrier bearings to be running without lubricant.

He needs to at least remove the differential cover, so that he can check for metal in the bottom of the pumpkin.
If there is hardly any, the bearings & pinion will be swimming in new fluid.

Being as the truck is a 4 wheel drive, installing lower gears can't be done unless the front axle is changed also

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Op is 6 yrs old.