sts turbo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
anyone have any experience with the sts remote turbo setups? or know anyone using them? i was going to do supercharger but i can do a sts for about half the cost. and there is a shop that does them a couple hours from me. they also do sct tuning to go with it.

Squires Turbo Systems - Universal

Last edited:

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I bought a Kit for my 04 back in 2007 and I never got to have it installed.. There was a shop about 2 hours from me that kept jerking me around about installing it... So it sat in my basement for a few months and finally sold it to a guy in Ohio who installed it on a 05 ram..

mikes04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have seen some videos of the STS kit and looks like a nice upgrade!

Since that kit is universal, there will likely be fabricating. Have you talked to the shop on how much it will be for the install with the fab work? I know the bolt on kit is about 4500 so I guess it depends on how much the shop wants.

Good luck with it!

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
it shouldnt be hard to install yourself, just make sure you have a tuner lined up and ready to go.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
There have been a few people running them. Only issues I ever heard of was the oil return line leaking and seal failing causing the turbo itself to fail. make sure you also get the snorkel kit for it because the air pickup stock for them is right on the frame rail on the Ram spec setup.

OP
OP
T

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
well. i tried to get ahold of the shop that is supposed to be sts dealer today. the number was saying it was the wrong number. dont know if they went out or what. have to check some more.

pretty sure i could do it myself. i just have never messed with anything turbo. thought i would let some professionals install it. and that place is supposed to do sct tuning too.

OP
OP
T

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
i think they went out of buisness. that sucks. back to the drawing board.

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
remember reading somewhere they had a supercharger for the 5.9 motor. might be something to google?

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turbo > S/C. I had REALLY wanted to do this on my 4.7 just don't have the $. It really shouldn't be hard to fab yourself. As mentioned before you really just need to have it tuned.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Pro charger will be constant boost and put alot more stress on the internals but Zack your motor is fully built now right?

OP
OP
T

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
never touched the bottom end. i could still see the crosshatches on the piston walls.(68k). i did use good headgaskets. some dakota guys are running 15lbs of boost with the headgaskets i used with no problems. my 2.02 heads are all done up.over done for what i have now.(ported,valve job,gasket matched,and cc'd). and a hughes airgap intake, which will eliminate the plenum gasket blowing issues. i knew i was gonna run some boost. and my cam is 212/218@50-512/512-on a 114lsa. not a perfect boost cam but should work well with it.

and procharger is what i was gonna use. 5600$ for the setup i want.bigger supercharger, a 3 row intercooler instead of 2row, and 10lb boost pulley instead of the standard 8lb.

kennebell and vortech no longer make the kit for my motor.

and i am using sct for tuning now from hemifever. but i would love to be able to pull on a dyno and make run after run and get it tuned right.

Last edited:

frostking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
There have been a few people running them. Only issues I ever heard of was the oil return line leaking and seal failing causing the turbo itself to fail. make sure you also get the snorkel kit for it because the air pickup stock for them is right on the frame rail on the Ram spec setup.

My air filter use to touch the bottom of the box which is waist height while sitting in the driver seat. (well above the frame) I also ran the provided snorkel kit into the cavity above the wheel well for the snow months, but it was too restrictive being only 3".

OP
OP
T

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
frostking-so you liked your sts setup?

frostking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
frostking-so you liked your sts setup?

I think it's a great DIY project. They work great on stock vehicles and available tuning is much better now then what I had to work with so I wouldn't worry about recommending it to others. The build quality was good 7 yrs ago back when I bought one, not sure how they are now days.

OP
OP
T

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
really thinking hard about the sts universal. my only issue is tuning. i wonder if hemifever can nail it down? he does a pretty good job. i just hate that there is no tuning shop around me.

frostking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
really thinking hard about the sts universal. my only issue is tuning. i wonder if hemifever can nail it down? he does a pretty good job. i just hate that there is no tuning shop around me.

Shouldn't be a problem. He has done many just like this.

Rocky Mountain Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
STS Turbo on '04 5.7

I have an STS kit on my '04. I did the install myself. It's pretty simple but it is time-consuming. It took me about 12 hours. The toughest part was getting the stock exhaust off. I couldn't get the exhaust crossover from the driver's side cat to clear the crossmember and t-case. I ended up cutting it.

The performance is great. I do quite a bit of driving and towing over 8000 feet of elevation and the turbo really makes an impact there. Surprisingly, my gas mileage is great. I'm averaging about 1 -1.5 mpg better with the turbo than without (17-17.5 vs. 16-16.5). Some of that may have to do with the high-flow cats that come with the kit. Of course when you give in and romp on it, you're not going to see these numbers!

I am fighting a nagging check engine light issue. I keep getting low efficiency codes for the cats (420 & 430). STS had advised me to just keep erasing the codes until the ECU started to recognize the new emissions levels as normal. I'm going to follow up with them to see if I should still be seeing codes 2-3 months after the install. On a related note, my area does require vehicle emissions testing - this set-up (when no code is present) does pass.

If you're looking for more punch with good gas mileage and a limited mods, DYI install, this is a pretty good option.