Tachometer Issue or????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

West Comma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have an 06 quad cab... I am having issues with the tachometer and what it is showing on the dash.

Last night going home down the highway running 65 mph it showed i was turning at 2k rpm's. It used to show i was turning 2k rpm's at 70 mph. So as i got off the highway i dropped my speed down to 50 mph and the rpm's dropped to 800.. As i approached a stop sign and stopped my tach read 200 rpm's.

I have been noticing shifting issues at constant 40 mph. It will up shift and down shift fine but it appears to be going into overdrive too early and then down shifting to maintain a certain rpm on the motor. My fear is it may be causing undue stress on my transmission.

Any ideas what it may be or what tests i can run to narrow down and fix??

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have the same issue. I have not done any real testing, other than that i kniw my motor and trans are top shape, and that sometimes the tach works perfectly, and sometimes not at all, sometimes it winds all the way around to the stopper under the 0. Sometimes i belive its temp/humidity caused because fairly often it will come to life once the cab starts to warm up but sometimes not.
I have also looked on identafix and theres lots of confirmed fixes for the cluster (as in R&R with a new cluster. I have better things to do with the boatload of money im sure its worth and it doesnt bother me so much, i just listen the motor sing :)
One day ill fix it...

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my '06 almost 2 yrs ago.

I don't think I had it 2 weeks and the tach went on it.

Went, as in, wouldn't move.

Googled it. Found suggestions about holding the trip thingy in then turning on the key and holding it in till all the "tests" were done.

The tach moved in increments and then went to 0 but then immediately went clock wise all the way to the stop.

Fast forward to present;
Since then, it has "worked" in some capacity, 2-3 times.
It is now dead again.

What was weird... is this winter, I um, kinda got hung up on a snow drift.
While getting myself unstuck, the engine light came on (I was in 4x4, obviously) and "ding"ed.

Next time I was driving to work I tried to use my cruise control, nothing.
The lights/indicators lit up but the CC would not engage.
About 2 weeks later the engine light just went off out of the blue and I had CC again.
OH, and, the tach started working!

It did for awhile. And now, is dead again.

So, I watched something on Youtube the other day and it all makes sense now.
I have experienced what the poster said the problem was with my big screen TV and my old (now, finally, dead, PS3 "Fat").

Lead. Free. Solder.

After heat/cool cycles and bumps/vibrations lead free solder develop hair line "cracks" in the solder joints.

This guy took his dash cluster out and "re flowed" his solder points on the tach and fixed the problem.

I'm confident I could re flow the solder points. Heck, I could even get into the thing and remove it from the dash. But, the thing is with lead free solder, is it WILL happen again.

Which (short story long) brings me to the present and finding this post;

I'm looking for a tutorial/thread to show how I can install an aftermarket tach and be done with it.

Toddm2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
My 2006 tach was erratic and then finally it spun around 360 deg. and stayed under the stop peg. Cure; 1.) With vehicle off, push the trip reset button and hold. 2.) without starting, turn the key on. 3.) keep your finger on the trip reset button and watch the magic happen. Your welcome.

Kroni

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I am experiencing the beginning symptoms of this problem on my 2006 5.7 hemi. My engine and trans are operating normally but when I'm driving and come to a stop my tach reads 200 or lower. Is this due to the poor solder joints or something else?

Also, I just performed the trip button cluster check, do the codes represent anything? Will performing this fix anything? Thanks for posting how to do that.

Lastly, how hard is it to pull the cluster? Anyone got a how to video?

Thanks

Hemi Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4
Engine
I have an 06 Ram and have reflowed the solder joints on the back of the cluster just as the you tube video shows. There are 2 small IC chips that the solder joints fail on. The entire job from shutting the truck off till I started it again was 45 minutes. Before I made the repair my tack would flip 360 degrees and get stuck on the stop, it would work temporarily but read 2-500 rpm low, it would freeze at certain rpms for lengths of time. I did the repair over a year ago now and it works perfectly ever since. Just do it... 45 minutes and it will be all better.

Sent directly from my thoughts using tinfoil antennas and a stainless mixing bowl helmet.

BgHrn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To bring this thread back up, does anybody have any tips on how to get the cluster out of an 06' QC Ram 1500? My truck JUST started doing this, over the weekend.