transmission help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmccallie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
First off new to the forum, just got a steal on this truck and I knew it had a few issues to address. But the price was more than right! 06 5.7 night runner has 230k on body and trans with 90k on motor and tcase (replaced by dealer with papers) 4x4 with the 545rf4 trans. I took it to auto zone 2 days ago and had them run a diagnosis, I got the p0740 code which came out to be torque converter clutch solenoid a(malfunction). I have talked to a few people and done some research and have found that it could be the solenoid pack? Took it to the dealer today and had them do a oil change and check out everything, they did not give me a straight answer but did say that it is more than likely the solenoid pack. Before I start throwing cash in the wrong areas, I want to make sure that there is not somewhere else I should be starting. I have read of a few people just doing a flush and it helping, some talking about replacing the filters? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Never heard of that problem before. Where are said Solenoids located (valvebody??) or elsewhere.

BTW Welcome to Rf and the shrinking world of the 3rd Gen Ram.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jmccallie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Never heard of that problem before. Where are said Solenoids located (valvebody??) or elsewhere.

BTW Welcome to Rf and the shrinking world of the 3rd Gen Ram.

Thanks, from what I have heard and read its all located just above the trans pan? I have to start it in 2nd when I take off because sometimes it will die if I take off in first. Also the truck has about a 1/4 of the power it should have. I have been super easy on it while driving it the last week but would like to get this (being the biggest problem) fixed before it causes more damage!

OP
OP
J

jmccallie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You just need to find a solenoid pack for your model year ram. I personally wouldn't do a flush on a Trans with that many miles. Just drop the pan, swap filters and solenoid pack and refill. Once i get home tonight (probably 3am your time or so) I'll see if i can post a link to the solenoid pack in question.

There aren't many different sensors/solenoids in the 545rfe. Input speed sensor, output speed sensor, main solenoid pack, shift cable and fluid lines. It's not as confusing as everyone makes it out to be

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Do not delay on this repair! My dad had this code on his 98 and he did not take action and it caused him to destroy the transmission and it had to be rebuilt.

$miley