No heat please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andyhemi45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 09 hemi 4x4 and ever since I’ve gotten it, the coolant temp stays around 188 when warmed up, I got a new thermostat and found out the old one was pretty bad so I put a new 203 F thermostat in there and it got to 195 that first day and I had heat then but other wise I have no heat and when I turn it to heat it barely blows, more so out of the passenger side but hardly any out of the driver side please help, heater core seems to be fine. It has 181k miles on it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If the airflow is low then check the evaporator coil to see if its plugged up with dirt as there was no air filter from the factory (check if a filter was added.
If your getting heat out of the passenger side but not the driver's side the heater core is plugged internally. You can try back flushing it but it may need to be replaced.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
some people use lighted borescopes, and others pull the blower motor assembly

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does that mean I’m going to have to pull the dash?
The heater core is plugged or has air in it pull the heater core flush it out with a hose and then re install burp the whole system get the air out some others have also tried putting cleaner inside the heater core and then flushing it. If none of that works yes you will be pulling the dash for a new heater core not uncommon for a truck of this age and a 4th gen its really not that bad of a job takes about a day or so for someone new.

OP
OP
A

Andyhemi45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I will try that hopefully it works, I’m thinking I do have some blend door issues too but idk everything blows fine on a/c it’s just when I turn it to heat is when I get hardly no air threw the driver side vents and the back vents, when I turn on recirculating it gets a little better but not much at all

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok I will try that hopefully it works, I’m thinking I do have some blend door issues too but idk everything blows fine on a/c it’s just when I turn it to heat is when I get hardly no air threw the driver side vents and the back vents, when I turn on recirculating it gets a little better but not much at all
If the air flow Is not the same on both sides Yes you do have a blend door motor issue not a big deal to change not hard a good scanner will tell you what one failed. If its just Hotter on passenger side but colder on drivers thats a plugged core.

Octane

Reaction score
If you change heater core,it's best to change the evaporator also while you're in there,I did.The evap was clogged externally,even though it did cool okay.And heater core clogged internally.I put in a cabin filter kit to prevent external clogging.My evap looked horrible from almost 200k miles of driving also.