$150 Best Buy gift Card -recommend me speakers!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road King

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Title pretty much says it all. I got a $150 Best Buy gift card left over from Christmas and haven't needed anything lately. So I figure I can burn it up on some decent speaker upgrades.

I have read that the dash speakers should be the first to be replaced, followed by the front door speakers.

So yeah, recommend me the best stock replacement speakers for $150 at Best Buy.

Oh yeah, and I have the 8.4. Pretty sure it's not Alpine - build sheet says 'Harman'

Cheers!

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you dont have the center channel that says alpine its just the standard.

Are you willing to add some more coin in or just the 150?

IMO i would look at doing a set of components and getting rid of the door and dash speakers.

As for brands since it is for BBY just go and listen. what someone may say they like you may not.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
Road King

Road King

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Hadn't thought about JBL since everyone seems to recommend the Kicker set up here. That component though... would that fit in the front door? Also, is that plug and play or would I need to add anything else? (Other than the speaker wire adapters...)

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hadn't thought about JBL since everyone seems to recommend the Kicker set up here. That component though... would that fit in the front door? Also, is that plug and play or would I need to add anything else? (Other than the speaker wire adapters...)

It is not plug and play but it will fit.

Metra Speaker Adapter Plates for Most 6 x 9 Vehicle Speaker Locations (Pair) 82-6901 - Best Buy

Metra Wiring Harness for Most Chrysler and Dodge Vehicles 72-6514 - Best Buy

These make the front doors very easy. Put the crossovers behind the radio and run your own wires for the tweeters.

OP
OP
Road King

Road King

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It is not plug and play but it will fit.

Metra Speaker Adapter Plates for Most 6 x 9 Vehicle Speaker Locations (Pair) 82-6901 - Best Buy

Metra Wiring Harness for Most Chrysler and Dodge Vehicles 72-6514 - Best Buy

These make the front doors very easy. Put the crossovers behind the radio and run your own wires for the tweeters.

Interesting. So would you upgrade the dash speakers AND run the component speakers? Or would you just toss the dash speakers and mount the component tweeters up there?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting. So would you upgrade the dash speakers AND run the component speakers? Or would you just toss the dash speakers and mount the component tweeters up there?

Put tweeters in the dash, mids in the door. If you go the other route you will essentially have way too many highs and it may sound funny.

OP
OP
Road King

Road King

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Put tweeters in the dash, mids in the door. If you go the other route you will essentially have way too many highs and it may sound funny.

Cool.

Ok, so now talk me out of the Alpine or Kicker options... Why JBL? Is it just cost? Cause I'm thinking that Alpine set up would be real nice...

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool.

Ok, so now talk me out of the Alpine or Kicker options... Why JBL? Is it just cost? Cause I'm thinking that Alpine set up would be real nice...

Full disclosure: I work at Best Buy as an installer. However this means I have pretty good experience with these brands.

The Kicker stuff - CS stuff is ok - the KS stuff is ok as well.... the KS sounds a ton better when you give it some power.

Alpine - The Type-S speakers used to be our go to speaker for the average customer. With that being said, once we got the JBLs - the JBLs are now our go to. I think the JBL is an overall better speaker and produces better mid-bass. Don't get me wrong though the Type-S are nice for their price point and are super easy to install with their inline crossover.

We literally just started carrying the Type-Rs in the store, so my experience is next to nothing at the moment. I will say a few years ago a co-worker bought all Type-R stuff for his car - and to this day I still think the Type-S sound better. The Type-R is currently half off on the website which is a great deal. However, I can not give you an honest opinion of them vs. the JBLs. In all honesty, you probably wouldn't be disappointed with either.

In my opinion, if you do not plan to amplify, go with the JBLs. They are 2 ohms so you can squeeze a little more power from your head unit and sound great with minimal power. I would be concerned that the Type-Rs may not perform with low power.

OP
OP
Road King

Road King

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Full disclosure: I work at Best Buy as an installer. However this means I have pretty good experience with these brands.

The Kicker stuff - CS stuff is ok - the KS stuff is ok as well.... the KS sounds a ton better when you give it some power.

Alpine - The Type-S speakers used to be our go to speaker for the average customer. With that being said, once we got the JBLs - the JBLs are now our go to. I think the JBL is an overall better speaker and produces better mid-bass. Don't get me wrong though the Type-S are nice for their price point and are super easy to install with their inline crossover.

We literally just started carrying the Type-Rs in the store, so my experience is next to nothing at the moment. I will say a few years ago a co-worker bought all Type-R stuff for his car - and to this day I still think the Type-S sound better. The Type-R is currently half off on the website which is a great deal. However, I can not give you an honest opinion of them vs. the JBLs. In all honesty, you probably wouldn't be disappointed with either.

In my opinion, if you do not plan to amplify, go with the JBLs. They are 2 ohms so you can squeeze a little more power from your head unit and sound great with minimal power. I would be concerned that the Type-Rs may not perform with low power.

Outstanding! Great info, and thanks!