Premium Alpine 8.4 system with 9 speakers and sub upgrade and questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Barty88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco diesel
What wires are you looking for?

All but the two front dash speakers and sub.

Right now, before I move on to the rear doors. I have the roof (ceiling) speakers out and left looks like Dark green with a grey stripe and light brown with a white stripe... right side is solid dark green and light brown with a gray (or silver?) stripe. Just need to know which are pos and which are neg.

OP
OP
B

Barty88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco diesel
@Witch and myself both have rockford DSR1s. Mine works well and was in the same price range as just buying a Pac audio unit that would still need a dsp.

Did you install yourself or have an aftermarket place do it? If you did do it yourself, was it hard? Worth paying to have it done or easy enough for an ignoramous like me who just knows how to use a screwdriver and read instructions?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Right now, before I move on to the rear doors. I have the roof (ceiling) speakers out and left looks like Dark green with a grey stripe and light brown with a white stripe... right side is solid dark green and light brown with a gray (or silver?) stripe. Just need to know which are pos and which are neg.

On the left, the Tan with white stripe is the (+) and dark green with gray stripe is (-)
On the right my diagram shows a different color, Dark Green with brown stripe (+) and Yellow with a gray stripe (-)

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

What are you installing? Idk the colors but it is pretty easy to check polarity with a battery. Just make sure you know they are the speaker wires first (check resistance).

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

This is for a 2015, not sure what year you are dealing with?alpine.jpg

OP
OP
B

Barty88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco diesel
What are you installing? Idk the colors but it is pretty easy to check polarity with a battery. Just make sure you know they are the speaker wires first (check resistance).

Interesting how would you do that?

OP
OP
B

Barty88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco diesel
On the left, the Tan with white stripe is the (+) and dark green with gray stripe is (-)
On the right my diagram shows a different color, Dark Green with brown stripe (+) and Yellow with a gray stripe (-)

Thanks mtnrider! Appreciate the effort immensely. Weird, definitely 100% factory and I just undid it and this is definitely the combo on the right tweeter in headliner .... green with brown stripe and tan with silver (or gray) stripe. Definitely not yellow....

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Put wires on each end of the battery... then connect the wires to the speaker. If it pops outward, then the wire going to the + of the battery is + for speaker, and vice versa. A lot easier if you have a polarity tester, that just tells you, but the concept is the same and you have visually look at the speaker. Also you should use a low voltage battery, like a double A or 9v. Furthermore, polarity for tweeters does not matter, as long as they are both in phase.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did you install yourself or have an aftermarket place do it? If you did do it yourself, was it hard? Worth paying to have it done or easy enough for an ignoramous like me who just knows how to use a screwdriver and read instructions?
The install is easy enough. You just need the correct maestro harness and you unplug the factory amp under the dash and the maestro can be mounted right next to it. Gets the signal that used to go to the factory amp. Keep in mind this is only if you're going to a full aftermarket amplified system. Gives you 8 RCA outputs. I needed help with the programming and a little explanation on tuning. After that the audio system wiring is the same as it's always been

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
DSR1 is a nice unit , as long as you take your time you can put the pain and suffering of the factory amp behind you

With the PAC AmpPro and the DSR1 there is no reason to suffer any longer IMO

Like BWL states, the DSR1 throws a full functioning DSP in to the mix to make one heck of a value

This diagram is the harness colors i used

upload_2018-7-3_16-5-8.png

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
I ran the jbl 302 with only 2 for like 1 month,

Finally bought a 2nd pair and installed the center and sold the spare.

Too me it was worth it. I was trying to be cheap and just "disconnect it" but the center channel made night and day difference again.

It was a good noticeable improvement with 2, but with 3 its like the amp was designed for it.

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After having my 2018 Longhorn for a few weeks with the Alpine system I have to say it's completely lifeless. There's no highs...sound is flat and boring. I can't believe they don't bother to put a GOOD set of speakers into this truck at the cost of it.

I really want to change out the speakers but I hesitate to start ripping panels out of my brand new truck.

That being said I guess what I'm saying is I understand your disappointment with the "alpine" system. It's meh at best...only ok since it plays music but the music out of it sounds like complete **** sadly. I will eventually upgrade for sure. I wouldn't worry about the roof speakers at all honestly, and I don't like that the front doors are mid bass only rather than full range. That was a really stupid decision on Chrysler's part for sure. The system would be much better with full range to all 4 doors.

I think at the price of these new trucks and what they charge for the Alpine systems we were all taken for a ride quite honestly. I would have much preferred the base speaker system with the 8.4 UConnect. Upgrading would have been much easier. Either way....an upgrade to what's provided from the manufacturer is definitely warranted.

OP
OP
B

Barty88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco diesel
After having my 2018 Longhorn for a few weeks with the Alpine system I have to say it's completely lifeless. There's no highs...sound is flat and boring. I can't believe they don't bother to put a GOOD set of speakers into this truck at the cost of it.

I really want to change out the speakers but I hesitate to start ripping panels out of my brand new truck.

That being said I guess what I'm saying is I understand your disappointment with the "alpine" system. It's meh at best...only ok since it plays music but the music out of it sounds like complete **** sadly. I will eventually upgrade for sure. I wouldn't worry about the roof speakers at all honestly, and I don't like that the front doors are mid bass only rather than full range. That was a really stupid decision on Chrysler's part for sure. The system would be much better with full range to all 4 doors.

I think at the price of these new trucks and what they charge for the Alpine systems we were all taken for a ride quite honestly. I would have much preferred the base speaker system with the 8.4 UConnect. Upgrading would have been much easier. Either way....an upgrade to what's provided from the manufacturer is definitely warranted.

Honestly the panel 'popping' is super simple... I understand your hesitation with a brand new truck but watch a youtube video and use a plastic tool (not metal) and go slow and it is really easy. Also, I got last year's Infinity models at almost half price on ebay so they didnt come with the wire harness adapters like Crutchfield gives out for free... I also then didnt want to spend the $10 a set to buy them separately and that was my downfall... worth their weight in gold. Thanks to everyone for help and feedback with wire colors, but a couple wire pairs were completely different than what was listed...weird.

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Honestly the panel 'popping' is super simple... I understand your hesitation with a brand new truck but watch a youtube video and use a plastic tool (not metal) and go slow and it is really easy. Also, I got last year's Infinity models at almost half price on ebay so they didnt come with the wire harness adapters like Crutchfield gives out for free... I also then didnt want to spend the $10 a set to buy them separately and that was my downfall... worth their weight in gold. Thanks to everyone for help and feedback with wire colors, but a couple wire pairs were completely different than what was listed...weird.

Oh I know how to change the speakers...I completely redid my 2010 Sport. It's just that I'm not ready to start popping panels out of a brand new truck. I'm sure I"ll do it eventually.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Last edited:

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh I know how to change the speakers...I completely redid my 2010 Sport. It's just that I'm not ready to start popping panels out of a brand new truck. I'm sure I"ll do it eventually.

It’s the same panel whether you pop it now or in six months. The only difference is how long before the stock system drives you over the edge enough to do it. LOL

Cykotherapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I put the 3020's in all three front spots and found them to be really harsh. I compared them with the factory speakers on my home stereo, doing a side by side instant comparison and the difference is obvious. the 3020's are an improvement for sure. After three weeks of driving I decided to disable only the tweeter on the center speaker which makes it more of a mid range and that seems to have taken some of the edge off.

Can you tell me how you disabled the tweeter? Thanks