'13 Ram sport 8.4 Uconnect .. dead?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ldzp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey,

In early april my 8.4 uconnect radio screen went completely back - no functionality at all. I tried the soft reset (holding vr/phone buttons 30 sec, door 30 sec). I've tried downloading the newest update from uconnect website and installing it via USB, the only thing is it seems the whole unit is unresponsive as it won't give power to my phone when I plug it in the usb, so it's not recognizng the usb with the new software on it. I've also tried disconnecting the battery for about 30 mins to kill all power to it, and checked all fuses that I'm aware of.. (2 in the fuse relay box and 1 fuse coming directly off the battery) and they all look fine..

My truck is out of warranty, it just seems from what I've googled/searched for this is an extremely common issue with the 13's and there should be a recall for this ****..

I see a thread here about an over-the-air update that has a fix for blank/black screen, but it's only available in the US? I'm in Canada

Would love to hear any suggestions or help that would avoid an expensive trip to the dealer.. they say want to keep it for 4hrs to "look" at it..

Cheers
Nick

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
You could always swap it out with a replacement unit from a salvage yard like LKQ ($300-$600). Any 13-15 year Ram/Cherokee radio should work without issue (16 & 17 radios will work but you may need a $200 OBDgenie to re activate the USB/sdcard port). Since your Canadian, you'd want either a Ra3/VP3-CA or Ra4/vp4-CA model. If you have an Ra3 (non-nav) already you can upgrade to the Ra4 with Nav (direct swap).

Other options, contact @Infotainment.com 's repair group "NavRepair" and specifically Austin ([email protected]) to send it down to them to fix or exchange.

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is an inline fuse that's on the firewall near the brake boster. Did you check that one?

OP
OP
L

ldzp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could always swap it out with a replacement unit from a salvage yard like LKQ ($300-$600). Any 13-15 year Ram/Cherokee radio should work without issue (16 & 17 radios will work but you may need a $200 OBDgenie to re activate the USB/sdcard port). Since your Canadian, you'd want either a Ra3/VP3-CA or Ra4/vp4-CA model. If you have an Ra3 (non-nav) already you can upgrade to the Ra4 with Nav (direct swap).

Other options, contact @Infotainment.com 's repair group "NavRepair" and specifically Austin ([email protected]) to send it down to them to fix or exchange.

Awesome thanks that's the kind of solution I was looking for - money spent on a replacement to me is better than going to a dealer. I'll contact Austin there also to see how a repair would work from the old unit as well.

Do you know if there is any way to do a 'hard' reset other than the disconnecting battery method? I just see instructions for a 'soft' reset wonder if there's a way to completely reboot it to see if that would bring it back to life..

Ricks Ram said:
There is an inline fuse that's on the firewall near the brake boster. Did you check that one?

Yes I found this one and it appears fine

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Unfortunately I do not know of any other reset method. Anything else seems to require a test bench setup with power and a canbus interface to do anything with the radio.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome thanks that's the kind of solution I was looking for - money spent on a replacement to me is better than going to a dealer. I'll contact Austin there also to see how a repair would work from the old unit as well.

Do you know if there is any way to do a 'hard' reset other than the disconnecting battery method? I just see instructions for a 'soft' reset wonder if there's a way to completely reboot it to see if that would bring it back to life..

Yes I found this one and it appears fine

You can hold the Temp UP and Temp Down buttons for 5-10 seconds, then press RESET radio when the engineering menu appears. I told austin to look out for your email, should have a response for you in an hour or so.