8.4 Uconnect discoloration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bradrob82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hi everyone, I recently purchased a used 8.4 Uconnect to put in my 17 Ram. I purchased the wiring from M2Mods (Mike Grimm). The radio and heating/AC work great, no issues other than screen discoloration. My reds are showing up as Purple and things look off compared to other 8.4 Radios that I have been around. I tried changing Themes with no luck. I reset the radio to factory with no luck either. Last night I upgraded the radio with latest Uconnect software. Still no fix. I messaged Mike Grimm today and he told me he has never seen this problem before. His suggestion was either replace screen or whole radio needs replaced.

Before I throw more money into this project, I was going to see if any of you had similar problems and had a solution.

Thanks

Bradley Roberts
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB G56 Cummins

Attachments

• 20240320_130624.jpg
    20240320_130624.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240320_130855.jpg
    20240320_130855.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240320_130904.jpg
    20240320_130904.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 9

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hi everyone, I recently purchased a used 8.4 Uconnect to put in my 17 Ram. I purchased the wiring from M2Mods (Mike Grimm). The radio and heating/AC work great, no issues other than screen discoloration. My reds are showing up as Purple and things look off compared to other 8.4 Radios that I have been around. I tried changing Themes with no luck. I reset the radio to factory with no luck either. Last night I upgraded the radio with latest Uconnect software. Still no fix. I messaged Mike Grimm today and he told me he has never seen this problem before. His suggestion was either replace screen or whole radio needs replaced.

Before I throw more money into this project, I was going to see if any of you had similar problems and had a solution.

Thanks

Bradley Roberts
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB G56 Cummins
I'd say the screen is all that's needed BUT this may be due to overheating from the radio. Have you felt the back of the radio after it's been operational for a bit? I had an RA4 that was too hot to touch when it was running for a while.

OP
OP
B

bradrob82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
SitKneelBend, it does that when the radio comes on and looks like that the whole time. It is not hot on the back either when I checked it. I was hoping that there was a secret contrast adjust menu that I couldn't find like old TV's had. I looked through the internet and found a engineering menu and a dealer menu. But neither had options to adjust the screen.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
SitKneelBend, it does that when the radio comes on and looks like that the whole time. It is not hot on the back either when I checked it. I was hoping that there was a secret contrast adjust menu that I couldn't find like old TV's had. I looked through the internet and found a engineering menu and a dealer menu. But neither had options to adjust the screen.
Nope, no adjustments unfortunately. It's possible a ribbon cable internally is not seated properly causing color distortion, but I have never seen one look washed out from the ribbon cable issues. I can also see the backlight is pretty uneven and bloomy on the edge.

If it's not overheating, I'd reseat the cables first as a free test and if no change just swap screens entirely.

EDIT: Actually upon closer inspection of your pictures I am seeing some artifacts on screen indicative of a bad cable or one that isn't seated properly. Hopefully you get lucky and that is the culprit!

Last edited: