2013 - 8.4A Factory Amp Location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VdubBry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hey all,

Finally getting to adding a subwoofer and I can't find the factory amplifier in the 8.4A stereo, and can't find any information out there on it.

I found some threads on here with the 2012 system and the amplifier is not in the location as where it is on those trucks. Also found some information on the 2013 Vehicles that had the factory subwoofer and the amplifier does not seem to be in that location either.

Any info out there?

Thanks!

OP
OP
VdubBry

VdubBry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Anyone have any idears? :) I've got everything installed now just trying to find out where the source for the rear speakers is so I can tap the wires and then see what she's got!

OP
OP
VdubBry

VdubBry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks, I was thinking about that next. Trying to determine how it comes apart and then may peak in there. It has to be somewhere, I pulled the 8.4a stereo out and it doesn't look like it has any built in amplifier. :scratchinghead:

OP
OP
VdubBry

VdubBry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks. I pulled out the center console, if that's where it is I sure don't see it and that console is a nightmare to get out. Glad I did take it out though because ran wires there.

I looked under rear seats and don't see it. This is driving me crazy

OP
OP
VdubBry

VdubBry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hmm I've not seen anything anywhere that says alpine but I don't know. It's the 8.4A. The unit in the dash has no wires that resemble speaker wires so I figure there has to be some sort of amp somewhere.

Recontango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Hmm I've not seen anything anywhere that says alpine but I don't know. It's the 8.4A. The unit in the dash has no wires that resemble speaker wires so I figure there has to be some sort of amp somewhere.

If you have the alpine it would say it on the dash and you would have a sub. Not familiar with the basic 8.4 system, my guess is that there is not an amp.

OP
OP
VdubBry

VdubBry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ok, yeh then I don't have the alpine system, the problem now is to find where the speakers are getting their power from, when I took the dash apart the unit in the dash just doesn't look like it has any amplifier built in to it.

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
all this time I thought you had the alpine system! The base 8.4a does not have an amplifier. Most base systems dont. The head unit powers the speakers...they dont take much.

OP
OP
VdubBry

VdubBry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
LOL, yeh, I know how to take the entire truck apart now though haha. It's all installed now, the fun part of trying to tune it.

Djeazie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi
Were you able to find an amplifier? How did you and where did you tap into to get signals for your new amplifier? Starting my build this weekend and want to make this as painless as possible. Really want to keep my 8.4a and not go aftermarket. I plan to use a Cleansweep and need to find those speaker signals! Hope you can find time to reply!

OP
OP
VdubBry

VdubBry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yes, I found in the basic 8.4A there is no amplifier lol. The amp is built in to the factory head unit. I found the factory wiring diagram, I have the link somewhere which I'll find and post here.

I just tapped in for a subwoofer/amp but I just ordered a Clean Sweep also. What are you thinking of doing with the Clean Sweep, are you going to do a sub and amp all the door speakers etc?

I'll post the wiring color shortly.

OP
OP
VdubBry

VdubBry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Here is the site with any wiring diagram you can imagine for Chrysler:
https://techauthorityonlinedemo.extra.chrysler.com/service/repair/wiring/view/classic.htm

Here is the stuff that pertains to us, This is all at the main connector at the back of the head unit:

Right Rear (+) Dark Green w Light Green Stripe
Right Rear (-) Dark Green w Grey Stripe
Left Rear (+) Grey w Light Green Stripe
Left Rear (-) Grey w Dark Green Stripe
Right Front (+) Dark Green w Violet Stripe
Right Front (-) Dark Green w Yellow Stripe
Left Front (+) Grey w Violet Stripe
Left Front (-) Grey w Yellow Stripe

Djeazie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi
Beautiful! Thanks!!!!!!

Basically going to use the Cleansweep to clean up the factory processing. Currently going to install an 4 channel amp and replace the door speakers and run them off the four channel. Replace the dash speakers and try them off the factory 8.4. I will probably end up adding a sub later but hoping that I will just be happy with the system without it. Really dont want to give up to much space for a sub. Any pictures of your install?

OP
OP
VdubBry

VdubBry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
No prob. You're welcome. I bought a box that fits under the rear seat so don't loose that much space. I did a subwoofer volume control also and mounted it in the center console area.

I have pics but its not much to look at but gives you an idea.

I'm going to have to get your advice on the clean sweep, I'm still not understanding how it works. I see where I put my speaker level inputs "in" to the clean sweep and them ill go RCA out to the amplifier but then from the amp do I need to run new speaker wires to the door speakers etc?

Under drivers seat
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365444538.568186.jpg

Under rear pass seat.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365444566.750800.jpg

Center console
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365444598.198553.jpg

Djeazie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi
Looks good! Yes you will run wires for each speaker from the headunit to the clean sweep. Then RCA for each channel from your cleansweep to your amplifier. Then speaker wire from each amplifier speaker channel to its speaker.

OP
OP
VdubBry

VdubBry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ok, thats what I thought, I guess that's where it gets tricky, getting the speaker wire from the amplifier through the doors to the speakers, it has those funky door wire harness things. I'm sure it's doable though.